DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas script wish (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/513061-vegas-script-wish.html)

Shane Siers January 1st, 2013 05:43 AM

Vegas script wish

Hi, all. I'd like to share my dream for a script that would really help out my workflow. I'm a poor grad student (biology, not film), but I'd be willing to make a donation for anyone with the time and skills to help me.

I would like a script that allowed me to enter a list of segments (m:s) for the file in the trimmer, and then would automatically select and paste those segments onto the timeline for me. I have logged the useful segments from my videos, but currently have to scroll across the trimmer timeline and manually select the segments and drag them to the timeline. Some files may have more than a dozen segment I want to use, and it's very time-consuming to do this by hand.

Does anyone know of an existing script, or have the skill to write one? Is it even possible?

Thanks,
Shane

Leslie Wand January 1st, 2013 06:15 AM

Re: Vegas script wish

+1 - would be really useful indeed

Roberto Diaz January 4th, 2013 10:50 PM

i can write this script for you. (always wanted an excuse to figure out vegas scripting, and donations are of course gladly accpeted.)

i did some research and figured out how to insert the media file into new audio/video tracks and how to create separate clips on the timeline. now i just need to figure out how to get the media filename and start+length of each segment. maybe putting it into a text file that the script reads or maybe entering those into a text window when the script starts.

let me know if you're still interested in the script.b
bobD

Shane Siers January 5th, 2013 12:03 AM

Yes, definitely interested! Thanks, Bob. You can get me off-line at shanesiers@gmail.com.

Shane

Graham Bernard January 6th, 2013 03:44 AM

Vegas has the options to make:

1/- SubClips
2/- Regions

I use this method when I audition my footage.

Cheers

Grazie

Leslie Wand January 6th, 2013 06:53 AM

grazie, that's what i usually do - however, i often get in a straight forward edl (cut to cut) from a client of, say, points in a long interview. this has been compiled from an mp4 tc window dub file which they have viewed on pc / tv / whatever, and simply jotted down a bunch of in and outs..... you get the idea i'm sure.

now, in the trimmer i can bring in the take, type in i/o and region / subclip that what's needed - but shot by shot. being able to simple type in a list of i/o and tell vegas to go do the business would be a real time saver...

Graham Bernard January 6th, 2013 11:01 AM

Well, you can import a SpreadSheet of INs and OUTs into Edit Detail View and have these create Markers and away you go with any of the Split on Markers Scripts. I use JR's or Edward's.

Grazie

Leslie Wand January 6th, 2013 07:33 PM

thanks for that grazie - completely forgot about excalibur (if that's at all possible;-))