Adobe CS2 for free at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Adobe CS2 for free

Yes it's an older version but it is free.
According to Gizmodo, Adobe has decided to give it away. You will need an Adobe account but that's easy to do.
If you don't need the full suite, the various programs are available separately.

FYI, the serial numbers for all products are in the right hand column on the linked page.

NOTE: Don't take the default install on disks 2 and 3. Point them to the same folder as you installed disk 1. It will then install fine.

Enjoy!!
Grab Photoshop and CS2 For Absolutely Free, Right Now | Gizmodo UK
Adobe - CS2 Downloads

Last edited by Mike Kujbida; January 8th, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Adobe CS2 for free

Turns out it's not as free as I thought :(
Here's the response from Adobe after finding out that this went viral.

Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers. While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.

I'll let Chris decide or a moderator if they want to delete this post.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Major Player

I downloaded the files, tried to install them into the same folder without success.
The "installation complete" screen shows up, but there is no actual .exe file that will launch Photoshop.
Browsing to the cab file and extracting to the directory also does not install the program.
I read the installation/trouble shooting guide on the Adobe website...still no success.

I guess if it sounds too good to be true.....

Has the install actually worked for anyone?

Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, Ken, Photoshop is working. Other programs I have not tried.
P.S. WinXP SP3
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ken, several users on the Vegas Pro forum have installed it.
Check this thread and see if it offers any help.

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
I'll let Chris decide or a moderator if they want to delete this post.
No need to delete it, but posting it here in the Vegas forum doesn't make much sense to me... it probably should have gone to Industry News... don't be surprised if it gets moved (I'll leave behind a re-direct, though). Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Old Boot

Erm... anybody care to comment on the legallity of this being "free".

Free Creative Suite downloads? Not so fast, says Adobe | News | PC Pro

And this :"Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2," the company said in a post on its forums. "You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!"

Pretty clear.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Major Player

While I am all for people giving away older software, this would be a little weird. CS2 version has pretty much every function most people would want from Photoshop, except maybe native camera raw support, but you can work around that.
They'd be undermining themselves a little.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #9
Inner Circle

So basically their giving away free to copies to anyone still working with older version then cs2, or maybe someone working with a current version but needing cs2 to run on a older machine with xp still on it. It's a weird way to putting themselves into the spotlight.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It's actually good for them - old, paid for CS2 installations they can cease to worry about, so that save money. They know that non-adobe users will pretend to be old customers and download it. However, some will never really use it, but others will - and those are likely, if they get on with it, to upgrade to newer versions. They'll try some tutorials and discover their version can't do something they wish to, and then some will pay for software that does. Considering we're on CS6 now, it's good, but old stuff they're allowing people to have. I have lots of serif software too, and they suggest giving my old versions away - because the 2nd user can install it and when they register to make it work, serif get the email and name and then they offer, after a while, upgrades. This business model works very well, appears to be financially viable, and best of all - presents a positive face to the world. Giving away CS2 won't hurt sales of CS6, because most users of that have come to it from version 4 or 5? So it gives advantage only to new users - well done Adobe, I think.

I have never liked audition, and not keen on soundbooth bundled with my CS packages, however, I've just tried Audition 3, thanks to this offer, and I'm not sold yet, but might be if I persevere a little?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...