DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Studio RGB confusion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/513464-studio-rgb-confusion.html)

Jim Snow January 13th, 2013 03:00 PM

Studio RGB confusion

I have read different and sometimes conflicting suggestions regarding when and how to use studio RGB in Vegas. Things like when to apply it, when to remove it, what types of rendered video need it etc, are not clear to me. I would appreciate some clarification on this. If there any accurate tutorials or explanations that cover this is more detail, I would appreciate the links.

Related to that, what guidelines should be used for selecting the pixel format in the project settings - 8-bit, 32-bit video, or 32-bit full range

Juris Lielpeteris January 13th, 2013 08:44 PM

Re: Studio RGB confusion

There is one absolute suggestion about video levels in Vegas - use Your Waveform Monitor. You allways can import back in Vegas Your rendered files in most of formats and control video levels in its.
Always use 8-bit pixel format in the project settings except You exactly know why You need one or other 32-bit format. Many 3rd party plug-ins and codecs may work unpredictable in 32-bit pixel format.

Mike Kujbida January 13th, 2013 09:24 PM

Glenn Chan has several excellent articles on hos site that get into this issue.
Sony Vegas Tutorials and Other Articles

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 13th, 2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1772982)
Related to that, what guidelines should be used for selecting the pixel format in the project settings - 8-bit, 32-bit video, or 32-bit full range

This might help for starters: The Advantages of Working in 32-bit Float | wolfcrow

Peter Riding January 14th, 2013 04:25 AM

Can depend on your source media but it can also be very simple: A project without a Computer to Studio RGB conversion should look fine on a computer screen but too contrasty on a TV. Conversely a project that has had the conversion applied and is then viewed on a computer screen rather than on a TV will likely appear washed out.

I edit everything as if it were for computer only. Once finished I output that version as MP4 and without any RGB conversion. I then add a Computer to Studio RGB conversion to the video bus and output again, this time for DVD.

You can access the video bus via View > Video Bus Track. And access the Computer to Studio RGB conversion via the Video FX tab > Levels. I'm sure you know that but the whole subject is so impenetrable that I thought I'd include it :- )

My video files are mainly from Canon dSLRs and the Panny 900 range of cams so my life is made easier by that.

I only use 8 bit rather than 32 bit for time saving. For my work only a minimal amount of pixel pushing is normally required and the content rather than the technical quality is what really matters.; that relationship may vary or reverse of course depending on your end user.

Pete

Jim Snow January 14th, 2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Riding (Post 1773092)

I then add a Computer to Studio RGB conversion to the video bus and output again, this time for DVD.
Pete

Am I correct in assuming that this also applies to Bluray?

Peter Riding January 14th, 2013 04:06 PM

Yes correct

Pete

Eric Olson January 14th, 2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Riding (Post 1773218)
Yes correct

Vegas in 8-bit mode incorrectly displays Rec708 as if it were full swing which gives a washed out look; Vegas in 32-bit float mode displays things correctly.

If editing in 8-bit mode, insert Studio-to-Computer on the master video effects loop while color correcting but remove it just before rendering. If you already color corrected in 8-bit mode (not such a good idea), then insert Computer-to-Studio on the master video effects loop just before rendering. If editing in 32-bit float mode, there is no need to use Studio-to-Computer or Computer-to-Studio because all conversions are automatic.

Note if you have a reference monitor connected to your computer using using special hardware with YCrCb outputs for video editing, then ignore all of the above.

Jim Snow January 14th, 2013 04:34 PM

I have read cautions about 32-bit mode. What are the potential problems? Is it a filter compatibility problem? If a project is already started in 8-bit mode, can the project properties be changed without problems?

Juris Lielpeteris January 15th, 2013 10:52 AM

For some types of source materials can be change video levels due to codecs issues. You can try, is it actualy for you or not.