Multicam Editing in Vegas Clip replacement problem! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Multicam Editing in Vegas Clip replacement problem!

Hi folks, a strange has happened to me. I was editing a three track multicam edit, with 5 audio tracks of a stage production in my local theatre.

Take 1 :FX1 record with mono audio provided from sound desk.

Take 2 :Z1 footage with left and right channels provided by seperate mics in the auditorium

Take 3 :Z1 with audio from built in mic from rear of auditorium

Seperate audio provided by iriver device with mic at front of auditorium.

My pc is well able to handle all this as long as I edit in preview half. I had edited the first half of the show and was about to leave it for the night when I noticed the audio start to become patchy. Its hard to describe but it almost sounded like it was dropping out on two of the tracks. This was the audio associated with the two Z1's

I tried everything to fix this. Closed it down, reopened vegas, shut down the pc and reopened vegas. Deleted the sfk files and let it revuild the peaks. Nothing worked. The original file when placed on the timeline independentley, were fine. In the end i resorted to restoring my pc to an earlier time using a backup version. I opened up the file and guess what it didnt fix it......

I then deleted the soundtracks and droped the original media on the timeline again and resynched them. Once I had done this I rendered the audio out to a seperate file and replaced all audio on the timeline with this.

Ok after a day wasted, i was good to go again and get my edit done.

Opened up vegas to edit the 2nd half of the show and realised that the multicam track was now corrupted and the clips from track three had been replaced with media from the FX1 track.

Between the swings and the roundabouts I was bale to get my edit done aftre another day lost trying to fix this.

Has anybody ever come accross this audio issue before?

Also has anybody ever come accross the issue where the multicam track has pointed to the wrong media without the user making any changes to it?

Thanks for any help......

PS. I use multicam all the time as i shoot weddings with two cameras and have never had this issue before....
Stephen Kettyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Multicam Editing in Vegas Clip replacement problem!

I'm not sure this will be much help, but as good as Vegas is with multiple sound sampling rates on one timeline, I've (very) occasionally run into problems with sample rates.

I'd look at every source in the project media bin - Vegas will tell you the sample rate when you highlight a file, look at the fine print below the project media window. Everything should be 48KHz, as should your project settings. But maybe there's something else that snuck in, it happens.

Even more occasionally, I've had sound card issues. When another application is open, sometimes even windows default sounds can produce this, Vegas' sound output can be affected in the monitors. This is really more of a drivers/windows problem, but I mention it here because it can *seem* like it's happening in Vegas. The fix here is to turn off all system sounds (Sounds control panel), and to be very wary of other applications when sound playback problems crop up.

It's been a while since I did a multicam, but usually once I'd achieved sync I'd turn off all sound tracks except a single master track. Most of my multicam work was event coverage where we had a master feed from the sound mixer...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...