DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Anybody up for some grading? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/514522-anybody-up-some-grading.html)

Gerald Webb February 23rd, 2013 04:46 AM

Anybody up for some grading?

Found this link on another forum-
David Lindberg: Grading Contest - Windy Winter
Always interesting to see how people interpret the same scene.
There are already a few entries on Vimeo, search "Windy Winter"
Here's mine-

Juris Lielpeteris February 23rd, 2013 08:46 AM

Re: Anybody up for some grading?

Today we have a nice and sunny winter day, so my vision is a little bit different:
http://youtu.be/jfjFP4jPUtA

Danny Fye February 24th, 2013 12:45 AM

I like the original much better.

Leslie Wand February 24th, 2013 04:43 AM

grading for what purpose!?

horror, doco, mystery, tourism...

why not simply buy mb looks and work your way through them....

pointless exercise....

Gerald Webb February 24th, 2013 05:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm, didn't expect that.
I guess if you possess the skills/talent to manipulate average images into any genre or look you desire in a very short time with minimal image degradation, you would have no interest in this type of thing at all..... Since this probably is very easy.
But,
Maybe there are a few people on here who aren't at that level yet and still get a kick out of seeing what they can do, and seeing other peoples ideas/versions of the same scene, whether that be inspired by childrens TV or The Bourne Identity. Actually that's what I thought made this cool, no instruction, wide open expression.
I still look at shots like below and think, "I want to do that". And turning to Magic Bullet is just like low fat pizza, not very satisfying. (no offence intended to anyone who uses Magic Bullet :)

Juris Lielpeteris February 24th, 2013 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Were is original?

Kim Olsson February 24th, 2013 08:01 AM

Cool challange, I wish I had more knowledge to being a colorist.
David HJ. Lindberg from Sweden is a very talanted when it comes to post production and cinematography..
It is also his work...

After your thread Gerald, I have been more inspired and will start develop som skills in this area.

I really like the scene when the girl stands in the woods, changing the hue on the leafs like that...
Now I also stumbled on his earlier work on vimeo.. great stuff.

/Happy editing

Gerald Webb February 24th, 2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juris Lielpeteris (Post 1780747)
Were is original?

Here go-
David Lindberg

Leslie Wand February 25th, 2013 12:47 AM

i certainly didn't mean to offend or discourage anybody with my comments - it's just that without a reason / theme / whatever, what's the point?

yes, mb looks has an complete range of 'ready rolled', but you can tailor make your own with great ease.

however, and again, there must be some purpose behind any grading otherwise it just becomes so much more wallpaper / eye candy.

Graham Bernard February 25th, 2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1780873)
however, and again, there must be some purpose behind any grading otherwise it just becomes so much more wallpaper / eye candy.

I quite like wallpaper and eye candy?

However, I understand your motives Leslie, but here it is only an experimentation from first principles of what IS possible, not the "why" it should be done. It's as if this thread is about more the wonderment of: "What happens if I do this?" - And I would argue that unless one is offered the "without restriction" invitation to explore, we are kinda sunk.

Anyways, that's my "take" on it.

Great thread!

Grazie

Leslie Wand February 25th, 2013 01:59 AM

oh grazie, i do agree entirely - "What happens if I do this?"

experimentation is one of the things i love about being an editor - and perhaps there's no bigger joy that being given free rein with a music clip, with a budget that allows enough time to sit with the director and get it 'right'.

i would have had nothing against this exercise (in fact, i'd be all for it!) if the original premise was, perhaps, to make it 'really, really, COLD', or say nostalgic, or any number of 'challenges' that went somewhat further than pretty eye candy - and yes again, eye candy certainly has its place in the scheme of things, in mine it's usually for bkg's fot text pages - you'd think doing video we could leave that cr*p to power-point presentations! - where i want the viewer drawn to the screen but not so much as to miss what's written there (now that, nowadays IS a challenge!)