DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   MPEG-2 or AVC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/514586-mpeg-2-avc.html)

Norris Combs February 25th, 2013 09:19 PM

MPEG-2 or AVC?

Vegas Pro 12, render
Using the template MainConcept MPEG-2
Bluray 1920 x 1080 60i, 25 Mbps video stream

DVD Architect Pro 6.0
I have to choose between MPEG-2 or AVC.
Which will give a better quality picture?

Are commercial BD movies MPEG-2 or AVC?

Thanks,

Randall Leong February 26th, 2013 04:52 AM

Re: MPEG-2 or AVC?

Norris,

Most commercial BD movies these days are either AVC or VC-1. A few early BDs were MPEG-2.

On the other hand, if you've already rendered (encoded) out your project as MPEG-2, then you should use MPEG-2 in DVD Architect to avoid recompression. Using AVC in DVDA will force reencoding and recompression of MPEG-2 material, which will degrade image quality.

Norris Combs February 26th, 2013 11:51 AM

Thanks Randall,

Yes I did select MPEG-2 in DVDA and it turned out really nice. Now what if I had rendered out a file in AVC, and selected AVC in DVDA, would there be any difference in the result when comparing to the MPEG-2 file?
To be more clear, would I expect to see any picture quality difference? How about compatibility with standalone BD players?

Jack Zhang February 26th, 2013 01:27 PM

The limit for Sony AVC in Vegas is 20Mbps. To go higher, unfortunately, you have to use a different encoder. Try encoding to Avid DNxHD first, then use a different encoder completely separate from Vegas and DVDA to create the AVC stream. If you're using Sony's encoder, you will not get optimal results. Do keep in mind that DVDA is VERY picky about files and will re-encode if it sees a unoptimized file.

Juris Lielpeteris February 26th, 2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1781208)
The limit for Sony AVC in Vegas is 20Mbps

DVD Architect encoder has no such restriction.

Jack Zhang February 26th, 2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juris Lielpeteris (Post 1781224)
DVD Architect encoder has no such restriction.

Unfortunately, in DVDA, it's locked in at Main Profile. To choose High profile, you have to use the Vegas Sony AVC encoder, and that is limited to 20Mbps.

Juris Lielpeteris February 27th, 2013 02:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jack, try it yourself (picture must contain sufficient detail and movement):

Jack Zhang February 27th, 2013 12:57 PM

I know the bitrate can be obtained, but see the 2nd screenshot where it says "Main @ 4.1?" With Sony AVC, you can choose High profile.

Juris Lielpeteris February 27th, 2013 02:26 PM

The only significant difference is that 8×8 intra prediction size not alowed in main profile. I don't know, use Sony AVC it ot not in hight profile.

Seth Bloombaum February 27th, 2013 03:22 PM

At 40Mbps the differences between Main and High profiles will be imperceptible. That's a lot of bitrate for h.264/AVC at 1080i, even for high-motion content.