New Computer Suitable for Stable use of Vegas 12 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: New Computer Suitable for Stable use of Vegas 12

There is no guarantee any computer will work flawlessly with Vegas 12. If you purchase a computer, and if you have issues, you will have to work them out.

It is likely that a generic build such as outlined by videoguys will work fine. All you can do is pay your money and take your chances.

Vegas works fine with most PCs. For best performance the key is to purchase the fastest processor you can afford; for HD, it is especially important that the files your are editing reside on a separate, fast drive such as listed in your specs from Videoguys.

People have issues with Vegas and Premier on any variety of builds. Go ahead and purchase the best you can reasonably afford, you'll likely be just fine. Bottom line is there are NO guarantees in this life or any other.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:26 PM   #17
Major Player

The Z77 motherboard and unlocked 17 3770k processor are better choices in the Videoguys build.
Just my .02

Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Chapman View Post
no SSD drive?...is it needed/make a difference?
I have never tried to render onto SSD. I only render onto HDD. But I doubt that it will make a huge difference to your rendering times.

Most noticeable differences are with Windows and program boot/shut down times. If you can stand much longer booting times, then I'd say to go with HDD and/or RAID 0 configuration. But I can guarantee that if you test SSD, you will never go back to using Windows from HDD.
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Re: HD speed: Hard drive speed does not affect rendering speed, there is not connection there. Hard drive speed affects system responsiveness. When video is located on a fast drive, the HD files will tend to playback smoother, given the processor is not the weak link in the chain.

I was editing this morning, a 4 camera edit. Footage was located on a typical 7200 rpm drive. It was sluggish in Vegas, jerky playback.

I moved footage to my fast editing drive, and it smoothed right out. This is how HD speed affects video editing.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Chapman View Post
Some advice please from those of you running stable (just odd crash!) iterations of Vegas Pro 12. I am looking to have a new PC built for me to run Vegas 12..maybe with After Effects as well. Could you give me your specs
Ian, I gave up with having GPU acceleration switched on in Vegas 12 after trying it with both an AMD card, an nVidia card and now (in a new PC) another AMD card. It either makes no apparent difference to render / preview, or simply makes it unstable.

So when, last November, my old PC died, I just bought the fastest chip I could get for my budget.

It's an off-the-shelf Advent PC with i3770 at 3.4GHz, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB RAM, 1 x 1 TB hard drive for Windows / programs, 1 x 2 TB hard drive for video (both 7200 rpm Seagates I think)

It runs splendidly, the only issue I had was that the drives were configured as the 2 TB being the system drive, so I first had to make the system backup DVDs as normal, then immediately format the drives, swap them over and re-install everything so as to make the 1 TB drive the system drive - I only have Vegas and other video stuff on there so I'll never need more than that.

The only downside of this PC is that it has very little expansion space but there's just enough for me to have a PCI Firewire card and a Blackmagic Intensity Pro for monitoring.

I've taken the drives out of my defunct PC, popped them into external USB3 cases and now use them as a backup drive and a Vegas temp drive.

It came fitted with a multi-card reader so I can read the CF cards from my Z5 and SDHC from my Panasonic "holiday-cam".

Cost me £750 I think.

Regards
David
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #21
Major Player

Absolutely, I built a computer to edit with Vegas back in 2008, according to the videoguys specs of that time and the thing is still running beautifully!
Three hard drive.
One for the OS, XP PRO
two in RAID 0 for work and capture
and plenty of external storage.
I'm still using it to edit today.
I'm not a pro.
Yes, I do have a Intel Q6700 and 4 Gig or ram so rendering of an hour project is slow, but hey, that's what nights are for. When I wake up in the morning it's done?
Playback only possible in preview when playing Cineform codec or HDV though.

I'm building a new system soon and it will be whatever the videoguys will have on their site at that time.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...