Am I cheating at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 6th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Am I cheating

I downloaded FCPX for this iMac I have. I feel like I'm cheating on a wife of 9 years. We shall see.
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Am I cheating

I know how you feel. I downloaded a trial of PP CS6 a month ago and am slowly transferring over. Have been a Vegas user since 2004 but am frustrated that even 9 years later it still crashes and I still lose work.

That said, working in Adobe has made me appreciate all you can do in Vegas. IMHO Vegas has a superior audio system. Simple things like cross fades are much easier in Vegas and it's more intuitive. PP has yet to crash though, and it's a very professional system. It also handles 4K files reasonably well. I'm not giving up on Vegas but am leaning towards a change.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Trustee

i think (unfortunately) that there's a great many vegas users thinking that another nle might be an answer to the ever deepening problems with vegas.

for my part discovering the jpg/png thumbnail bug newly incorporated into the latest release of 12 (486), simply confirms my view that scs has lost the plot.

i'm going to have a closer look at edius (i have cs6 bundle but just don't like premiere).
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Leslie, that jpg/png issue is in prior versions, not just 12. And that's my complaint, ever since Sony got it, they've done really nothing other than offer bluray. They don't listen and their Vegas support is horrid. Sigh, I'll stop....
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
i think (unfortunately) that there's a great many vegas users thinking that another nle might be an answer to the ever deepening problems with vegas.

for my part discovering the jpg/png thumbnail bug newly incorporated into the latest release of 12 (486), simply confirms my view that scs has lost the plot.

i'm going to have a closer look at edius (i have cs6 bundle but just don't like premiere).
Leslie, what is it you don't like about Premiere Pro? Just curious.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I went the other way. Used Premiere for 10 years and knew it like the back of my hand. Crash city with CS2 and just stutter playback with anything HD whereas Vegas Pro 8 cut through it like nothing (current version at the time). Been using Vegas for four years and I will admit I disliked it greatly at first but couldn't get past how much better it played back HD footage over Premiere. Stuck with it and it's a dream . But then again I refuse to upgrade past 8.1c. It is rock stable. I'm still on 32bit XP on Quad Core system with 4GB of usable Ram. Almost upgraded to a new Core i7 rig with full Vegas 12, etc, etc, and then read the horror stories. I rather be able to work than deal with an unstable system as I've been there and done that. Nothing is worse than not being able to work. I use proxy DV files for HD for real time editing than swap the HD files back in for Color Correcting and rendering via GearShift.
Old March 6th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Trustee

@ duane - i just find it very 'clunky' in comparison to vegas (yes, i know that nothing really compares to vegas, that's why i'm still hanging in there).

and before you say it, edius is, if anything, even clunkier. however, i've been eavesdropping on both edius and prem forums and prem seems as bug prone as vegas, whereas edius seems more stable.

of course, the true test is always in the users hand....
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I know some people are editing with Lightworks, but using their old Vegas for their sound editing etc. That allows them to use both programs to their strengths. BTW That doesn't mean you can't edit sound with Lightworks, just more that because of it's audio heritage Vegas can do a better job in that area. More or less the same idea as AVID people using Pro Tools.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Major Player

Ever since I changed my "Dynamic RAM Preview max (MB):" to 64Mb my Vegas 11/12 has been rock solid, zero crashes as opposed to crashing every few minutes.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Nicholas, Thanks for that little bit of info.
while I wasn't crashing all the time I was having a few issues with 12 and now that I lowered the RAM to 64, suddenly, no issues. funny how that little bit of change can make such a hugh difference.
Thanks again.
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm not able to get Vegas to preview 4K files while PP does a decent job of playing them even at full resolution. My 4k camera arrives today so this will be another factor to consider.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...