AMD 7750 vegas 12 = ok? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 29th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AMD 7750 vegas 12 = ok?

Desktop PC Intel® Core™ i7-3770 - 3TB - 16GB - AMD 7750

I am looking at the above basic computer spec combination.

Can anyone let me know if they find this AMD 7750 graphics card works fine with Vegas 12 please?

Thanks. Ian
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: AMD 7750 vegas 12 = ok?

Hello Ian,

Pondering the Advent?

I saw your post and had some spare minutes so I've just run some tests.

This is VP12 build 486 and the latest AMD Radeon Catalyst Control driver, version 13.1, downloaded today.

I tested two projects:

1) AVCHD 24Mbps footage with Sony Colour Correction on each clip and the Saturation Adjust on the final output (that particular plug in seems to hoover up processing power like you wouldn't believe so it's one of my favourite test plugins)

2) HDV footage with Sony Colour Correction on each clip and a Sapphire Edge Film Look applied to the track.

In both cases, playback and rendering was stable (I grant you this is not an exhaustive test).

Playback (preview) performance was vastly enhanced though, to my great surprise. Yes, I know that's what it's supposed to do but I've never had much joy until now.

Test 1 ran at 16 / 7 / 7 fps in Draft / Good / Best respectively with the GPU OFF. It ran at 25 / 25 / 25 with the GPU on!

Test 2 ran at 23 / 9 / 3 fps in Draft / Good / Best respectively with the GPU OFF. It ran at 25 / 18 / 16 with the GPU on!

Oddly, rendering performance was about the same with GPU on or off, sadly, though I only test-rendered the first one.

Hope that helps
Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks David...yes I can get a refurb' for a very nice price on the Advent...just wanted some reassurance really! So it seems to run Vegas 12 without any major issues? that's fine. I got your other messages, but it seemed you had reverted back to Vegas 11?

This graphic card choice has been doing my head in tbh! Especially since the GT 560 ti seems to be the 'sweet' card! and yet it's not widely available any more it seems.

I may well take a punt at the price on offer.

Cheers mate

Ian
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, the latest nVidia cards don't seem to be well received at all from what I've read. I had a 550Ti but it didn't really work well (though I never tried it in the Advent, only my previous Dell)

I can't 10% vouch for Vegas 12's stability under the AMD card but the test I gave it yesterday seemed OK. And I'm about to do another simple HDV project, I'll post here if it causes any issues.

The only thing of note is that - and I think I'm right in saying this but others may step in otherwise - plugins like Sapphire Edge use CUDA which is only part of the nVidia technology not the AMD cards (???) so you don't get any benefit for them from AMD.

I never used 11 (though I bought it) as the GPU acceleration never worked; until now 10e has been my standard as it's pretty solid.

Good luck
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...