Vegas 12 - yellow "border" over video track at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 4th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 12 - yellow "border" over video track

I downloaded trial V12 (currently working with 10) compared two identical projects in V10 and 12 and there is that yellow border around video track AND even preview works like 16fps....what is going on??? It looks to me like step backward to those times of Premiere and FC (they still do that - would you believe) when "rendering was necessary. I was Premiere guy and that was the reason I switched to Vegas because there were no more rendering required. That's also the reason I am staying with V10 . I also exchanged graphic card to GTX660Ti and even with this change preview is 15-16fps while although V10 doesnt recognize that new card and CUDA it is smooth full preview. Where is that improvement they want us to pay for?
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Vegas 12 - yellow "border" over video track

The "yellow border" around the event on the timeline is to better help you identify which event is selected. However, that does not affect the preview in any way.

The 600 series nVidia cards are actually a step backwards and are worse than the 500 series when used with Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Edward for clarification.
- I have my old GTX 470 with approx 330 CUDA do you think it would make sense to upgrade to 500 series in terms of improving rendering speeds (I use Magic Bullets occasionally);
- also on V11 and V12 note - why is it performing with preview much worse than V10e (even with old graphic card) - that's why I didn't upgrade to V11 or V12 I see not much improvements [not to mention Premiere style rendering menu which I don't like]. Same footage in V10e runs perfect full framses but in V12 trial ai is 16fps!!!! You will agree it is not encouraging to upgrade.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The best compatibility and performance will be had with a 500 series card.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Major Player

but will it make sense to "upgrade" from GTX470 to GTX 550????
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I would recommend against upgrading if the 470 is otherwise getting the job done.

In my case I had no choice but to upgrade my card. I just upgraded too far.

If you must upgrade get a 500 series card. If your machine is working reasonably well now resist the urge. They only get cheaper as time goes on.
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

You might just try turning off GPU acceleration in VP12 and see if that makes a difference. My understanding is that VP10 did not use the GPU for preview - only for select rendering.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Major Player

well....with GPU and 1300 CUDA cores used there is not much a advantage when rendering same project on V12 with Magic Bullets filters (which rely heavily on GPU processing capabilities) than on V10e. They went too quick from V11 to V12 without major improvements (kind of not fair by Sony).

On the other note - it happened that I have in my office friend's Imac with FCP 7.0 (he asked me to edit something for him on mac) so I tried to edit same footage on mac....it sucks; FCP still had that RED RENDERING LINE - it was impossible to work in real time!!!!!! After discovering Vegas (and moving from Premiere) I would never buy MAC. I know all TV studios work on MAcs but it was because at that time (10-15 years ago) there was nothing on the market that could compete with Final Cut at that time - times changed and nowadays I see they are being left behind and I think soon they will loose substantial portion of the market. Not to even mention compatibility of importing some video files to vegas - it understands only mov (strange apple policy).
One thing makes me think - why somebody in SONY maned that great software ...."Vegas" ...sound childish and very unprofessional???? but that's the issue for another thread.
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...