Vegas Pro 12 and Apple ProRes422 and CinemaDNG RAW at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Trustee

Vegas Pro 12 and Apple ProRes422 and CinemaDNG RAW

Is Vegas able to work with these formats from the Blackmagic Cinema Production 4k camera?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Vegas Pro 12 and Apple ProRes422 and CinemaDNG RAW

I don't know about Cinema DNG, but Vegas can read ProRes files provided that you installed ProRes codecs http://support.apple.com/downloads/A..._0_for_Windows
Aleksey Tarasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, ProRes drops in no problem at all. I'd be curious as to whether anyone has found a way to work with DNG, though.
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Watch out, ProRes in Vegas is reliant on a 32bit (not 64bit) based plug-in architecture in Sony Vegas so you cannot (I repeat, cannot) do a full length cut using Vegas. If Vegas has too many clips loaded, you will be presented with black frames, or the plug-in will crash (not Vegas, the plug-in) and all clips will go black. That can sink an entire production.

I'm never going back to the nightmare of editing a full length show with ProRes in Vegas. DNxHD also doesn't fare well in Vegas neither. MP4, AVCHD, and MPEG-2 are what I find works most stable in Vegas.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #5
Trustee

Interesting, I've not had any trouble with Prores in Vegas and have done a few projects about an hour plus.
But, doing a wedding ATM with Cineform clips and having to restart Vegas over and over because of black/offline clips.
Not trying to argue the point in any way, just reporting my experiences.
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Watch out, ProRes in Vegas is reliant on a 32bit (not 64bit) based plug-in architecture in Sony Vegas so you cannot (I repeat, cannot) do a full length cut using Vegas. If Vegas has too many clips loaded, you will be presented with black frames, or the plug-in will crash (not Vegas, the plug-in) and all clips will go black. That can sink an entire production.

I'm never going back to the nightmare of editing a full length show with ProRes in Vegas. DNxHD also doesn't fare well in Vegas neither. MP4, AVCHD, and MPEG-2 are what I find works most stable in Vegas.
I've never tried it, as I use either AVCHD or HDV, but isn't there a free Avid DNxHD codec? If you load that does Vegas play with the files better?
At home I use Vegas, but at I work I use Premiere and I seen posts about loading the Avid code for Premiere.
Just wondering.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:

What plug-in is crashing Vegas? Quicktime? DirectX? Or the grading plug-in chain?
Thanks
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stoneburner View Post
I've never tried it, as I use either AVCHD or HDV, but isn't there a free Avid DNxHD codec? If you load that does Vegas play with the files better?
At home I use Vegas, but at I work I use Premiere and I seen posts about loading the Avid code for Premiere.
Just wondering.
I use Vegas Pro 12 64-bit, and Avid DNxHD codec works without any problems for me. You do have to have Quicktime installed as well, and yes the DNxHD codec is free.
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The latest version of the Avid DNxHD codec is at Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 2.3.8

A tutorial on using it in Vegas is at Avid DNxHD Template for Vegas Pro
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Remember, it is still using a 32bit based plug-in to import the footage even for DNxHD. I cannot guarantee longer productions would hold up on one timeline. You will have to split longer productions into multiple project files.
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I am just beginning to use BMCC in Vegas but have only done short things. I have edited Prores directly on time line and it does fine. But typical projects have been no more than 15 minutes. I have had no black frame issues.
R
Ive also used Resolve and converted footage after an application of a LUT to a Cineform Quicktime file. I am not sure if I have that available through Resolve as part of their licensing or its there as a codec because I own Cineform too. I have not found option to convert to a Cineform avi in Resolve, though in the old Cineform conversion utility, I can convert the prores to Cineform avis
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Remember, it is still using a 32bit based plug-in to import the footage even for DNxHD. I cannot guarantee longer productions would hold up on one timeline. You will have to split longer productions into multiple project files.

Jack, how long is ''longer''?
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Inner Circle

If you have a very high number of clips and lots of cuts, I would not make a sequence longer than 10 minutes. (AKA 1 Act, ending your sequence at the commercial break) If you're loading a lower number of clips, you can go up to 30mins. An hour long sequence under normal editing circumstances is not going to be stable with non-native codecs in Vegas.

HDV, AVCHD, H.264 (MP4 and some MOVs) and XDCAM are what I know run stable in Vegas. A good way to tell if a plug-in is 32bit is to check your FileIOSurrogate process to see if it is eating up memory. Do not let that surpass 1GB as it is a 32bit process. Those native codecs use Vegas itself which (on most of your machines) should be 64bit.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Trustee

I dropped 32 clips of DNxHD 1080/60p totaling about 2 hours onto the time line, started cutting them, drag and dropping them, moving them around, playing them with live video scopes and for me V12 is not breaking a sweat. It scarcely seems even slowed down. I opened up Windows resource monitor, FileIOSurrogate.exe shows Commit (KB) 149,680, 87 threads, 6 cpu, vegas120.exe is 426,068 (KB), the system is using 30% physical memory. This is all on a Dell laptop i7 running 64 bit windows 7 and nvidia gt555m.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...