DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   What template to use for YouTube? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/515849-what-template-use-youtube.html)

Norris Combs April 16th, 2013 01:41 AM

What template to use for YouTube?

My video is 1920 x 1080i. I just rendered it using Main Concept MPEG2, and got a standard DVD file at 720 x 480. What template should I have used in order to get an HD file to upload to YouTube?
Thanks,

Gerald Webb April 16th, 2013 03:24 AM

Re: What template to use for YouTube?

Hey Norris,
Try this, render out a 1080i master in Sony 50mbps 422MXF of your video,
Download this-
HandBrake
Drop your video into Handbrake, select De-interlace in the options, and change Variable Frame rate to Constant, leave the quality setting at RF 20.
You end up with a way superior looking video than what you can get out of Vegas...... and IMO its not really any slower even with the extra render. On the plus side you have a master to archive.

Mike Kujbida April 16th, 2013 04:06 AM

If you're using Pro 10, try Sony AVC/MVC with the Internet 1280x720-30p preset.
For Pro 11 and 12, use MainConcept AVC/MVC with the same preset.
I shoot in 1440x1080 60i and have been very happy with this setting.
The videos on St. Clair College - Centre for Applied Health Sciences were done with these settings.
As a follow up to Gerald's recommendations, here's an excellent video.

Gerald Webb April 16th, 2013 04:23 AM

Thanks Mike, I was thinking of that video, couldn't remember what it was called. Bookmarked now
:)

Mike Kujbida April 16th, 2013 04:51 AM

My pleasure Gerald. I can never remember it either so I just do a search on the Sony Vegas forum for "youtube" and "musicvid" as the author. Works every time :)

Norris Combs April 16th, 2013 10:07 AM

Thank you both!
Will give that a try later.

David Stoneburner April 17th, 2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1790735)
If you're using Pro 10, try Sony AVC/MVC with the Internet 1280x720-30p preset.
For Pro 11 and 12, use MainConcept AVC/MVC with the same preset.
I shoot in 1440x1080 60i and have been very happy with this setting.
The videos on St. Clair College - Centre for Applied Health Sciences were done with these settings.
As a follow up to Gerald's recommendations, here's an excellent video.

Sony Vegas to Youtube Tutorial - A Better Method - YouTube

Mike, just a quick question. Why use the MainConcept in V12? I did a test and it seems to me that the Sony AVC works faster with a smaller size and looks as good. Again this is without GPU enable rendering as I don't have a proper card for that yet.
Thanks

Mike Kujbida April 17th, 2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Stoneburner (Post 1790976)
Mike, just a quick question. Why use the MainConcept in V12? I did a test and it seems to me that the Sony AVC works faster with a smaller size and looks as good. Again this is without GPU enable rendering as I don't have a proper card for that yet.
Thanks

David, beginning with Pro 11, Sony decided to change the location of the Internet presets from Sony to MainConcept. No one knows why, they just did :(
If it works for you though, go ahead and use it.

David Stoneburner April 17th, 2013 07:58 AM

I see what you mean. I ended up just making my own presets, which are pretty much identical to MC, in the Sony AVC templates. Cheers!

David Johns April 17th, 2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1790980)
beginning with Pro 11, Sony decided to change the location of the Internet presets from Sony to MainConcept.

But they seem to have brought them back with v12 build 563; from the ReadMe:-

"Added new rendering templates to the Sony AVC/MVC format: use Internet 1920x1080-30p and Internet 1280x720-30p to render HD video for Internet distribution."

As rendering to mp4 with MainConcept causes me random lockups at 100% of render, I've taken to using these new templates which work fine.

Irritatingly they once again forgot about us in PAL-land so I had to tweak them to 25fps...

Cheers
David

Jack Zhang April 17th, 2013 08:22 PM

Watch out guys, the Sony AVC "Internet" presets use Baseline profile as opposed to Main or High.

For best results, you must turn the profile to "High" and change "CAVLC" to "CABAC." Audio should be 192kbps.

Jeff Harper April 18th, 2013 08:51 AM

Thanks Jack! I have tried and disliked the results of the Sony AVC preset, now I know why!

Jeff Harper April 18th, 2013 08:53 AM

Wait, I just checked the preset, Jack. It is on high and CABAC by default, at least in V 12.

Duane Adam April 18th, 2013 10:46 AM

I render an AVI master and then to MP4 with handbrake. Quality looks better to me than the Vegas options.

Mark Sudfeldt April 19th, 2013 04:48 AM

I also make an mxf master and drop it into Handbrake. Way better result than the Vegas AVC output.