DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Saving Subclips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/516318-saving-subclips.html)

Mark Watson May 5th, 2013 12:42 AM

Saving Subclips?

Is there a way to trim a clip and then save that subclip back to my HDD (without rendering)?

I know the subclips can be put in the project media list, but these are not really altering anything on the HDD, it's more like a "virtual" subclip. I want to PERMANENTLY delete footage from a clip and free up space on my drives.

I've searched the archives and perused the manual but could not find it. I'm guessing it's impossible since it would run contrary to an NLE that is said to be non-destructive of all original media it is fed.

If it can't be done in Vegas Pro 12, can you recommend a program to do this? I'm on 64-bit Windows 7. Most media would be from HDV cameras or .mxf type files.

Thanks,
Mark

Leslie Wand May 5th, 2013 01:54 AM

Re: Saving Subclips?

me too ;-)

usually i work on 'individual' projects so having 'subclips' is very useful even though they aren't actual clips in themselves.

i remember reading that i could use media manager to also keep 'subclips', but i would like to do what mark wants to do too.

in my case i'm happy enough to rerender clips.

i think i can create regions and render them separately within vegas?

anyway, rather that depend on my failing memory i'd appreciate some guidance too....

Don Bloom May 5th, 2013 05:49 AM

when I need to save a "sub clip" I simply render it out to the appropriate format either AVI or MP4 and store it for later use. Now I can delete the RAW footage if I want and still have the needed clip safely (I hope) tucked away.

Jon Shohet May 5th, 2013 09:53 AM

Vegas Pro 12 Import, Export & Media Management

"Smart render technology

Utilize smart render technology for faster encoding of cuts-only projects, or projects with minimal changes. No generation loss occurs because video frames pass through the engine unaltered. When rendering to any of the following formats, unedited video frames are passed through without recompression (smart rendering):

DV AVI
DV MXF
IMX MXF (IMX 24p MXF is not supported for smart rendering)
HD MXF
MPEG-2 (for files such as those from HDV and DVD camcorders)
XDCAM EX"

For lossless trimming of quicktime mov and h264 in mp4 container, which are not supported by Vegas smart rendering, I use the excellent "MPEG Streamclip" freeware. It's not "smart" i.e you can only make cuts on keyframes, but for rough trimming of unneeded footage it's great. I use it with files from my Canon 60D for example.

Ian Stark May 8th, 2013 05:54 AM

I also do the regions thing. Excalibur is excellent for batch rendering of regions, using the region label as the new file name if required, along with an optional sequence number. Very handy.

Gerald Webb May 8th, 2013 06:08 AM

Am I the only one who hasnt been able to smart render anything with Vegas 12?
Cineform, MXF no joy. Must admit, havent tried for a while, has an update fixed it?

Mark Watson May 8th, 2013 05:38 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I admit I haven't made use of the workarounds you've all mentioned, and this is the second time Excaliber has crossed my screen today, so I will have a look at that program.

Some of my cameras, maybe all of them, will let me trim a clip and either replace the original or save under another name. Onsies and twosies are fine but doing a hundred or so clips this way would be irksome. I'll soon find out which is less tedious, rendering one clip at a time or in-cam trimming.

(I checked Canon's XF Utility and don't see where it will do this basic edit on the clips either.)

Jon, I appreciate your post, as it covers all the HD media I use and I was NOT aware of the lossless characteristic. That's very good info to know!

Mark

Edward Troxel May 10th, 2013 07:45 AM

You can find more details about Excalibur here:

http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur

If you do photo montages, you might also want to look here:

http://www.jetdv.com/mm

Jon Shohet May 12th, 2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1794572)
Am I the only one who hasnt been able to smart render anything with Vegas 12?
Cineform, MXF no joy. Must admit, havent tried for a while, has an update fixed it?

I don't use MXF so can't say, but I also found Cineform smart rendering broken in 12. I found this post:
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
and indeed after replacing v12's "aviplug.dll" with the one from v11 (I backed up the v12 file just in case before overwriting it) CF smart rendering is working fine in 12...