95 minutes in dvd..settings please? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 6th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Trustee

95 minutes in dvd..settings please?

Guys could you help me please? I need to put 95 minutes of video in DVD with DVDARC. Wich setting should i render the mpge? CBR etc?

Many thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: 95 minutes in dvd..settings please?

You would need an average MPEG2 bitrate around 6,100,000.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Major Player

As a rule of thumb, I use the formula 560/minutes=bitrate. I usually round down the result a bit to allow for menu overhead, depending on if using a lot of motion menus or not that would take more space. For instance two hours = 4.66 and I will encode at 4.5 and it fits. You can search online for "bitrate calculator" and you will find plenty, just fill in the blanks to get an instant result.

For shorter videos (less than an hour), there there is a maximum bitrate allowed. Personally, I would limit to 7 or 8, but some folks go a bit higher. All of this assumes Dolby AC-3 audio. PCM audio will take a lot more space on the disc and then the video needs to be more compressed to fit.

Thanks
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Edward has a website and on that website he has archived copies of his wonderful newsletter. In the newsletter dated June 2003, vol. 1 #7 there is a paper copy of a bitrate calculator for DVDA. While it is labeled approximate, it has been accurate for me for 10 years and I still use it today.
DL it keep that page and you'll be golden. CBR VBR is your choice however most people I know use VBR. 2 pass or not is again, your choice.
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Another good bitrate calculator Mark's Bitrate Calculator - Where to download? : Sony Vegas
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Major Player

I use dual layer discs instead of f**ting around with bitrate calculators and incurring the extra rendering time for 2-pass.

I use a constant bit rate of 8,000 - being slightly lower than the maximum allowable under the DVD spec. to allow some headroom on older players - and I use separate Dolby AC3 to get a small size decent quality audio track.

Dual layer discs are marginally less likely to be copied as well :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Trustee

After 3 days The render is over! 3 days guys!!! Something is wrong in my pc
I used The Edeard suggestion about The bitrate.

My pc used to take The double of The time of The length of The video with simple mpg2 with default settings. 1 hour of video took 2 hours of render in mpg2.Noowaday 1 hour of video means 5 hours of render in simple mpg2.Guys could you help me to Fix The problem?

My pc runs Windows xp32 bit with 4GB of RAM and nvidia quadro fx3600

Really thank you for your precious help
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

3 days?!?!? WOW! I think I'd poke myself in the eye! Well as you stated there's something going on in the computer and while I'm not a "computer guy" (I let my son who is a computer guy handle mine) I'll throw some stuff out here.
1) is the computer on line? If it is take it off.
2) kill the anti virus AFTER you take the machine off line
3) did you have any other big resource apps running like Photoshop or anything else that hogs resources?
4) what is the priority of DVDA? By that I mean is it TOP priority or bottom priority according to Windows?
5) did you try to close out DVDA and shut down/re-boot the machine? You should have seen the time running up way too high during the burn-I'd waste a DVD and shut down/re-boot to see if it made a difference.
Other than that, maybe one of the real computer guys here can come up with something but I can tell you it would be a very cold day in HELL before I would allow my computer to render for 3 days for ANY job.
But that's just me!
Good luck, I hope you can figure it out.
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
After 3 days The render is over! 3 days guys!!! Something is wrong in my pc
I used The Edeard suggestion about The bitrate.

My pc used to take The double of The time of The length of The video with simple mpg2 with default settings. 1 hour of video took 2 hours of render in mpg2.Noowaday 1 hour of video means 5 hours of render in simple mpg2.Guys could you help me to Fix The problem?

My pc runs Windows xp32 bit with 4GB of RAM and nvidia quadro fx3600

Really thank you for your precious help
I assume that you're using an older-generation laptop since there has never been a desktop Quadro FX 3600 in existence. In your case, then, the three days is close to what's expected given the insufficient amount of available RAM (Windows XP32 does not detect the full 4GB as "usable" - but only 3.29GB of that as total usable; your available RAM could be even less than that) and the significantly weaker (slower) CPU and disk configurations that were available in laptops back then (circa 2007-08).
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
I use dual layer discs instead of f**ting around with bitrate calculators and incurring the extra rendering time for 2-pass.

I use a constant bit rate of 8,000 - being slightly lower than the maximum allowable under the DVD spec. to allow some headroom on older players - and I use separate Dolby AC3 to get a small size decent quality audio track.

Dual layer discs are marginally less likely to be copied as well :- )

Pete
What about compatibility issues?
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Major Player

What about compatibility issues?

Does not appear to be an issue any more nor has it been for several years - except on internet forums :- )

I do use decent discs though - Verbatim DVD+ They are a bit more expensive than single layer but discs are of course cheap anyway. They do taker longer to burn - mine are rated a 8x

If it were to arise I could always re-render at a lower bit rate or issue two discs but there doesn't seem to be any point in doing that as a default.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...