DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Stop Motion with Vegas 5? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/51669-stop-motion-vegas-5-a.html)

Mike Tesh September 24th, 2005 09:56 AM

Stop Motion with Vegas 5?

Hi I've got Vegas 5 and I know that if I grab a series of still images from a folder I can drop them on the timeline. But each image is about 5 seconds long during playback. Is there anyway I can adjust the duration so that each image is only 1/24th of a second long so that I can make a stop motion animation that is 24 frames per second?

I'd like to shoot this with my Canon 300D digital SLR at medium resolution (about 2 megapixels). That is the same quality as 1080p for output to HD and downconverstion to SD 480p as well. Any suggestions on that?

I want the highest quality possible and an easy way to line up the still images in sequence.

Thanks

Mike Kujbida September 24th, 2005 10:04 AM

As long as your Canon numbers the images in sequence (and most do), you can import them as an image sequence instead of the way you're currently doing it.
Browse to the folder where the images are stored and click on the first one. The "open still image sequence" option should be active. Select the desired range, click "Open" and set your options accordingly.

Note: all images must be numbered sequentially for the import function to work. If you're missing one or two frame numbers, you'll have to manually renumber them.

Mike

Edward Troxel September 24th, 2005 12:11 PM

Definitely use the Image Sequence method. This will treat ALL of the images as a SINGLE video event. Much easier to deal with than a bunch of images.

To answer the other question, though. Options - Preferences - Editing tab will let you set the default still image length.

Mike Tesh September 24th, 2005 01:30 PM

Wow thanks guys for your help that's great.

Just out of curiousity since my math is kind of shakey if I wanted 24fps I should set each frame length in seconds to 0.48 correct?

Also what about the high definition. Am I correct in assuming I can shoot at 2 megapixel and edit at 1080p 24fps on the Vegas timeline?

What are the best settings for this? All the images will be coming in as jpeg's and in a 4x6 aspect ratio.

Mike Kujbida September 24th, 2005 01:45 PM

Easiest thing is to go the Image Sequence route which saves you having to do any math :-).
If you want to go the 1080p 24fps route, set your project properties (File - Properties) beforehand. One of the preset templates just happens to be "HD 1080-24p (1920x1080, 23.976 fps)". The frame rate of 23.976 (IVTC Film) can be changed to 24.000 (Film) if desired. HTH.

Mike

Mike Tesh September 24th, 2005 02:18 PM

Hmm I keep getting an error when I try that. It says:

"Warning: an Error occured when opening one or more files.
The item was not found"

Then if I click on details I get a whol list just like this:
File META:\Image Sequence\{META:\Image Sequence\{F:\My Pictures\300D photos\artsbeateaartsbeateast2005_betterthenezra 002.jpg} (0)[60][3] could not be opened.
File META:\Image Sequence\{META:\Image Sequence\{META:\Image Sequence\{F:\My Pictures\artsbeateast2005_betterthenezra 003.jpg} (0)[60][3] could not be opened.

Those images are in that folder.

If I click ok it gives me one video clip with only four images in it.

I've tried a few differnet image folder. I know those images are there.

Mike Kujbida September 24th, 2005 02:49 PM

Mike, it's only a suspicion but the extra } (0)[60][3] after the file extension could be messing things up for you.
I'd be tempted to copy everything over to a new folder and to rename it so that all you have left is betterthenezra 003.jpg
Again, make sure all files are sequentially numbered or Vegas won't load it properly.

Mike
BTW, I'm just across the river from you :-)
I'm a staff producer at the local community college (St. Clair).
mkujbida at stclaircollege dot ca if you want to get in touch.

Mike Tesh September 24th, 2005 02:59 PM

Alright I got it to work. I just needed to click on the first image and not select all of them.

It's pretty shakey though, definitely flicker visable but I've heard this is a problem when using DSLR's for stop motion. I wonder why.

Even though all my setting are manual, apterture, shutter, focus, and I'm shooting on an overcast afternoon I still get exposures that very from one another.

Mike Tesh September 24th, 2005 03:00 PM

Excellent about you being so close. Perhaps I will at some point.

Mike Tesh September 24th, 2005 03:08 PM

Here is my test footage. It's only about 2 seconds long but it will give you an idea of exposure difference.

http://www.scapefilms.com/stopmo300dtest.wmv

Forgive my animation skills it's been a couple years since I've done stop motion. Need to get back in the flow of it.

Mike Kujbida September 24th, 2005 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Tesh
Alright I got it to work. I just needed to click on the first image and not select all of them.

Ahh. The one thing I forgot to mention and, of course, it tripped you up :-)

Quote:

It's pretty shakey though, definitely flicker visable but I've heard this is a problem when using DSLR's for stop motion. I wonder why.
Seems to be a Vegas issue with large stills. Try the "reduce interlace flicker" option (right-click the event - switches - reduce interlace flicker).

Mike Kujbida September 24th, 2005 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Tesh
Here is my test footage. It's only about 2 seconds long but it will give you an idea of exposure difference.

I see what you mean. This is one time that I'd be tempted to do all the animation inside under controlled conditions against a white or black background and then key it out against exterior shots as required. Just a thought.

Mike

Mike Tesh September 24th, 2005 06:59 PM

Well I think it really does come down to the sun and not the camera this time.

It was dumb of me to do it outside but it was just a quick test. Tomorrow I'll do a more controlled test inside