DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas looks for an avi - which doesnt exist (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/516806-vegas-looks-avi-doesnt-exist.html)

Geoff Jak May 25th, 2013 11:29 AM

Vegas looks for an avi - which doesnt exist

I have a bunch of veg files from the one project which open no problems but one always looks for an avi to start the opening process - there is no such avi - I never rendered one - so I cant open that timeline.

Any idea why it's looking for an avi and how to I get my timeline running again. It's important I use the original timeline as selected shots I need are associated with a timecodes embedded in a window.
Thx

Vegas Pro 11.0.682 32 bit

Juris Lielpeteris May 25th, 2013 11:59 AM

Re: Vegas looks for an avi - which doesnt exist

If Vegas can not locate necessary media files in project then is option to choose to leave it offline or replace it. You can always open a project to explore and choose the solution. Or maybe you have another kind of problem?

Geoff Jak May 25th, 2013 01:10 PM

Yes Juris maybe I have another problem because I tried opening another veg and it wont open that one either because -
1 it cant find it so I go looking where it should be
2 I end up here "A nested project source media file was not found (K:\seeder in Paddocks 2.avi)"

I did a test a few weeks ago to nest but it wasnt on this veg.

What do you think is going on?
Thx

Juris Lielpeteris May 25th, 2013 02:19 PM

You must open the corresponding nested project, the one with the missing avi file, and resolve the problem in it.

Geoff Jak May 25th, 2013 05:30 PM

I dont know where that Nest test is. How to find a lost Nest?

Juris Lielpeteris May 25th, 2013 11:38 PM

Find the all Vegas projects included in the project media of your main project and open them one by one. You may open at the same time more copies of Vegas program.

Ian Stark May 27th, 2013 02:13 AM

Can you simply delete the reference to the lost nested project in the project media pane?

Geoff Jak May 27th, 2013 05:27 PM

No I cant delete anything associated with the nested stuff and I've tried to open them all...and I cant delete the avi, cos it doesnt exist. When I agree to overlook the particular avi it cant find, the timeline has no information on it when it comes up.

Ian Stark May 27th, 2013 05:37 PM

And the net result is that you cannot open up your master veg file, right?

How about if you create an avi with the same filename and place it in the root of k: ? That would give the project something to try and open, even if it's a different file. No idea if this would work (nests might be referenced in a different way) but can't hurt trying

Just another thought - tell us about the K: drive. Is it an external drive? A DVD drive? Does the k: drive still exist? Do different drive letters get assigned each time it's plugged in (ie could the current k: drive be a different physical volume to the one containing the missing avi?).

Other than that I think I've run out of ideas.

Geoff Jak May 28th, 2013 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=Ian Stark;1797604]
And the net result is that you cannot open up your master veg file, right?

Correct!

How about if you create an avi with the same filename and place it in the root of k: ?

Tried that thanks to your suggestion. Unfortunately, no way, it didnt create anything. Once I had saved the title as an avi in a seperate folder but on the same drive it would not open up.

Just another thought - tell us about the K: drive. Is it an external drive?
No - It's officially a 3.5" internal on a caddy.

Does the k: drive still exist?

Yes. I have three caddys working...I like it that way. And all stay in the same place. They are not swapped around so nothing gets confused.

Do different drive letters get assigned each time it's plugged in
No

Edward Troxel May 28th, 2013 11:43 AM

Another thing that might work:

Load each individual project. Go to the Project Media tab, and click on the "Lightning bolt" to remove any unused media. Then resave each project.

Now try opening the master.

Geoff Jak May 30th, 2013 09:30 AM

Sorry for the delay.

The main problem I have is that I cant open the timeline at all because the first thing it is looking for is an AVI, which does not exist. So I say no to opening that file, hoping the others will but they dont. Bottom line is there are no shots on the timeline.

Geoff Jak May 30th, 2013 10:17 AM

New problem associated....

I have just finished editing one program of the series that did not have a problem opening any files....but....at the end of editing and just before rendering to YouTube specs, I imported a nested project - the opening title. It settled on the timeline without a problem and rendered everything as normal but now, several hours later I have opened the project again - which includes all the shots on the timeline and the nested veg...yet the nested veg contains no shots, only the title text. Spooo-ky.....

So as a quick fix (deadline looming on these projects) I rendered the opening sequence and dropped it in the timeline. I wont be touching the word nesting for a while, thats why I am in this mess now.

Geoff Jak June 10th, 2013 11:56 AM

It's still a major drag on my production time.
Im reinstalling Vegas in the hope that cleans it up.