DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Render a project in small segments or ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/516947-render-project-small-segments.html)

James Manford June 3rd, 2013 02:57 PM

Render a project in small segments or ?

As the title really.

Wondering how people render large projects like a wedding film.

Once you've applied graded it. If the project is reaching around 60mins.

Do you split in to smaller segments and render OR DO YOU render the whole project at once ?

Any tips on the best way to do it ?

Because I use another piece of software to re-render the files from Vegas to create a blu ray / dvd with a custom menu, I just render out in small segments in Vegas of around 20mins or so each and then throw all these files back in the timeline in another piece of software to create my dvds/blurays.

Paul Cascio June 3rd, 2013 04:32 PM

Re: Render a project in small segments or ?

I prefer small sections because if it crashes, you got back to Square 1 each time. I think I use regions and then a batch render.

Chris Harding June 4th, 2013 12:07 AM

Hi James

I always do my renders and edits by event so no clip would be longer than 20 minutes and most are much shorter. So I have individual clips for bridal prep, arrival, church service, vows etc etc

What I do is always start with a black title and end each event with a fade to black ...If you then compile those onto your DVD or BD the clips run without any issues but between each is a little fade to black and then the black title merges seamlessly ...It also allows the viewers brain to "reset" ...watching a non stop 2 hours of footage means a severe concentration wander after 15 minutes or less but by providing a tiny break between events means that viewers are way more alert as they are not watching a 2 hour epic but a series of short clips although there is no physical break, the brain sees it as a break.

As also posted it's MUCH easier to re-render a 6 minute clip if you find you have made an error instead of ploughing thru 2 hours of timeline and a huge re-render!!!

Chris

Juris Lielpeteris June 4th, 2013 01:33 AM

I usually do similar, only I often have separate episodes around an hour long in much longer movie.
I use a few methods to renders be stable:
- I always use XDCAM format sources and final renders,
- I never use Smart Render because I use all source materials with at least 2-3 video filters,
- I never use GPU acceleration because I do not have the right GPU ;)
- short compositions, which require particulary a lot of video tracks, I insert by using the embeded projects in which the video is already prerendered on the upper track,
- I almost do not use third party video plug-ins except Neat Video and occasionally AAV Color Lab.
Short and easy films as weddings or live performances with length up to 1 or 2 hours I always render at once because viewers want to get it faster (and never had problems with rendering).

Jeff Harper June 4th, 2013 06:36 AM

Not sure why I would render in less than one piece, except for a separate menu item like the highlights. I render one clip, import into Vegas, and I'm essentially about done except for tweaking the menu.

Juris Lielpeteris June 4th, 2013 06:54 AM

Why? Therefore, independent episodes gradually being filmed and assembled at least a year.

James Manford June 4th, 2013 10:08 AM

Another question ... is it best to render using the GPU ... or CPU ???

My GPU is compatible with Vegas. And I have a i7 CPU.

I've always done it via GPU ... and haven't honestly tried using my CPU for some silly reason! (don't ask why!)

Edward Troxel June 4th, 2013 11:49 AM

If you don't have any issues rendering with the GPU, use it. If you do, drop back to the CPU. Unless rendering with the CPU is faster than the GPU (which it shouldn't be but sometimes is).