DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Tools, Tricks, Scripts to prevent sleep while rendering? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/517067-tools-tricks-scripts-prevent-sleep-while-rendering.html)

Gerald Webb June 9th, 2013 03:53 AM

Tools, Tricks, Scripts to prevent sleep while rendering?

This has been an annoyance for a while now.
Have to go out for a couple of hrs, awesome, Ill take advantage of that time and render some tracks to work on later....... come back and PC has gone to sleep at 17%. Outstanding :(
I know I can turn off sleep, but why should you have too. Surely Windows and/or Vegas should be smart enough to know there is some work going on, maybe its not a good time for a nap.
Funnily enough I dont get this in Osx, I have sleep set for 15min, but it wont sleep if rendering.
Anyone have a script, app or anything that can manage sleep?

Mark Watson June 9th, 2013 05:26 AM

Re: Tools, Tricks, Scripts to prevent sleep while rendering?

There's a freeware app called DSHUTDOWN. Lots of options. For example, you can set it to put your computer into any mode of shutdown after CPU activity in Vegas drops below a certain % for a certain length of time.

Dimio's Tools

Gerald Webb June 10th, 2013 02:56 AM

Thanks Mark. Ive downloaded it but havent had a chance to test it out yet.
At first glance it appears to take over the sleep process from Windows, is this right?
So you would have to disable (set to never) sleep in Windows?
Ill have a play later, looks promising though.

Mark Watson June 10th, 2013 07:39 AM

I just downloaded it and tested it to see if it would put my computer in standby after a render in Vegas completed. There's a LOT of options. I believe you can also set it so that it can intercept the computer's power setting actions and take some action that you've specified. I used the performance monitor tool in windows to see what the CPU load was in Vegas at idle and while rendering. I think it was 12%/35%. So I set the DSHUTDOWN to go into STANDBY mode after the Vegas CPU load dropped below 10% for 1 minute. It worked like a champ. I didn't try out any of the other functions.

I always leave my laptop power options to never sleep or go into standby. I was downloading a large software file once on a Vista (!!!) machine and it was going to take 5 hours. I crashed out and when I woke up, the computer had shut itself off half way into the download. So for now and evermore, I turn off those functions.

Gerald Webb June 10th, 2013 02:41 PM

Im wrapped. Set computer to never sleep in Windows 8.
Did a 3 hr After Effects render and set Dimios tool to Shut down when AFX CPU went below 10% for 1 min.
Finished render and then shut down.
Ill try a Vegas render tonight.
Looking good though.
Great find Mark.