Menu button problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 14th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Menu button problem

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I am tring to put on a Click to Start menu button on a DVD using Vegas movie 10 and Architect 5. I have followed instructions to the letter on A CD tutorial by Bill Myers and have studied the help programme in Vegas. I have tried many times and when I select preview on Architect it appear as it should be the menu appears first as selected and when I click onto the video starts. BUT when I make the video to DVD disc the openong button is not there and the video starts immediately although itts not selected to do so. The funny thing is the button appears ok at the end of the Video and on clicking it starts the video again. Any help appreciated. It's most annoying as I have done the thing right once and I can't remember what I did then and what I am not doing now.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Menu button problem

make sure the menu is the FIRST item, not the video
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Major Player

That is the first thing i made sure of at every attempt. Actually this afternoon it worked and the button appeared and worked. Because it was recorded on a re-writable disc i decided to record it again on a good quality printable disc. At the
end of the first successful recording a panel asked if i wanted to make another disc so i put the new blank in the re-writer and clicked yes. It certainly recorded another disc but what do you think, the button didn't appear and hasn't done since on more attempts. I'm beginning to think the programme is corrupt. Anyone else got any ideas?
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Roy,
When you author the DVD in DVDA going into the FILE>NEW>MENU BASED gives you the first page. Then when you bring the file onto that page it will be the name of the file (you can change that to whatever you want) then right click to make a scene selection page goto that page, copy the butoon, paste onto the first page, delete the scene selection page, name the buttons whatever and it should be 100% fine.

Preview it in DVDA make sure the buttons work, then burn one. I'd be willing to bet the disc will be fine as will all others after that.
BTW, same process if you want a scene selection page(s) for longer projects. Just have a Play All (Play Movie) button and a scene selection button on the first page. BTW the Play Movie button (or whatever you want to call it) is the actual file you just changed the name OR if it's a descriptive name you want on the menu, then leave it and name the next chapter.
HTHs
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #5
Major Player

DON. Thank you for your input. I can't follow your instructions, I guess I'm not bright enough at 86.
If you could tell me how to do it STEP BY STEP I would be grateful. I must explain that I only want one menu button to appear on the screen telling the viewer to click to start the video. According to all the tutorials I have studied, when starting a new project I need only to click onto SINGLE MOVIE in the panel of choices. This gives a button automatically. When I choose this as the start and click onto PREVIEW, everything shows to be correct The click to start button appears first as it should and when I click onto this in the PREVIEW mode the video starts as it should. BUT when recorded to disc , the start button does NOT appear and the video starts first. The reason why I want the button to appear is so that I can reset the Television to suit the video to be played, while the start button is on the screen.
I did mention in my opening post that everything worked once on a RW disc but when I aked for another copy, the button did not appear on the new disc. I have got round that by using a copying programme to copy the RW disc that showed the button. I hope this explains my problem. The frustrating thing is that I can only tell whether it has worked or not by actually going through the whole process of burning a disc, which is a waste of valuable time since the preview mode says it's right and it isn't. Cheers
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Roy no problem.
If you want a single click to play button to appear then chose FILE>NEW>MENU BASED.
Going with a Single Movie will give you the results you're getting right now. there is now menu hence the movie start automatically.
By choosing MENU BASED you can use any of the backgrounds that are in DVDA and then go thru the Explorer to get to the rendered file, either render to MPG or AVI in Vegas in which case DVDA will render to MPG. In any case, drag the file to the Menu Page, right click on the "button" which is the files name, press the F2 button and you can change the text in the button to whatever you want. Perhaps Click to Play.
Now when you burn the disc and play it the first thing you'll see is the Menu with the button, use the remote to press the button and off you go. ;-0
HTHs but if you have any more questions feel free to ask away!
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Inner Circle

+1 to Don's suggestion. This is the way I make 99% of all my DVDs. The only time I do SINGLE MOVIE is when it's for a very basic student project that they're going to hand in to their teacher.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Major Player

DON. Thanks again, by selecting MENU BASED as you advise, the problem is solved.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...