DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Problem Creating DVD format output (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/517199-problem-creating-dvd-format-output.html)

Mike Prendergast June 14th, 2013 01:34 PM

Problem Creating DVD format output

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 1 hr documentary which renders and plays in MP4, 1920x1080p, 29.97 fps. I'm trying to create a dvd version of it as follows:

Vegas Pro 11: Render to Cineform 1080 avi
Virtualdub: Load Cineform 1080 avi and resize to 720x405 (Lanczos3) and save as Cineform 6.9.1 avi

When I do this the Vegas Pro Cineform avi crashes in Virtualdub during the resize process.

I've attached one crash report. I can't make any sense out of the info so if anyone can please let me know if it tells you anything.

Nearly all my footage is 1920x1080p @ 59.97 fps. Four files are different (2 are 1920x1440p @ 47.95 fps and 2 are 1280x720p @ 59.97 fps). I guessed that maybe they were causing problems and removed them.

With those four files out the project renders and resizes with no crashes in Virtualdub. I'm able to play the 720x405 file and it looks great.

Are there any clues in the crash report to help? I did send a copy to Virtualdub but no reply so far.

Are there any tools that i could use to diagnose problems in my 4 files?

Any other things i could try? Of course those 4 shots contain some great footage i don't want to leave out so I really would like to salvage whatever is usable from the files assuming they are the problem.

Gerald Webb June 14th, 2013 03:26 PM

Re: Problem Creating DVD format output

Hey Mike,
If it was me,
While trying to sort it out (and maybe not finding an answer), render out your project again to Lagarith codec and drop that into Virtual Dub.
Whenever I have had issues with a Cineform file Ive just replaced with a Lagarith version and its completed. It just seems a bit more solid sometimes, easier to decode maybe, who knows, it just works.

Seth Bloombaum June 14th, 2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Prendergast (Post 1800312)
...Nearly all my footage is 1920x1080p @ 59.97 fps. Four files are different (2 are 1920x1440p @ 47.95 fps and 2 are 1280x720p @ 59.97 fps)...

What Gerald said, and:

Why not scale those four files to 1920x1080-60p externally to your Vegas project? I know Vegas is the best at handling odd sizes/rates and mixing them on one timeline, but homogenizing your sources might be the ticket.

OTOH, I've always been happy with setting "Best" rendering quality and scaling direct from the timeline to a slightly modified MainConcept MP2/DVDA template within Vegas. I might not be getting the last 2% out of my projects, but I've always been one to think that good enough is good enough.

Mike Prendergast June 14th, 2013 04:56 PM

Gerald, I tried the Lagarith render on the offending region and it worked. So i'm rendering the entire project now. Thanks.

Seth, Thanks for the reply. I did try to scale the footage (didn't mention it in my post) and that didn't help. I'm holding your last suggestion as a plan b as i have not had success with quality in doing a vegas resize.

Juris Lielpeteris June 15th, 2013 01:22 AM

I always create DVD presentations of HD projects directly from the Vegas timeline, using as a basis a standard DVD presets.

Mike Kujbida June 15th, 2013 06:32 AM

I've done this numerous times and do it just like Juris does.
If you want to get the most out of it, there are several suggestions in Jerry Norman's "Vegas Target vs HD Source Workflows" guide on his site at Take One Solutions

Mike Prendergast June 18th, 2013 02:19 PM

Juris\Mike, Thanks for the replies. I was able to get the Lagarith render to work and the quality is very good. Based on the link from Take One Solutions I'm probably doing something wrong when resizing and rendering in vegas.

Thanks for all the feedback. This is all very helpful to me.