wrong thumbnails showing... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #1
Trustee

wrong thumbnails showing...

Just got underway on a new project in V12 Pro. I imported four videos and placed on time line some time ago in preparation for working on it. Now that I have finally got to it, I find that 3 of the 4 video thumbnails in the Project Media window do not show the correct thumbnail...actually show totally unrelated images. The thumbnails on the time line are correct.

What is going on?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: wrong thumbnails showing...

Yes this is a well know 'bug' that has appeared in V12. I'm currently working on a history doco series with countless thousands of clips and it can be a problem if you don't know how to fix it. One thing that can cause this to happen is when you have clips with the same name or number so check that that isn't part of the problem.

Whenever this happens close down your project and do the following.

In Explorer go to Organise/Layout and make sure you have the Menu Bar option ticked.

Now you will have a menu bar in Explorer. Now from the Tools menu select Folder options/View and select the 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' option.

Now navigate to your system drive. This is usually the C: drive. Under C: / navigate to Users/ here you select the primary user, normally it's your name. Under your name select AppData/Local/Sony/Vegas Pro/12.0/Media Pool Thumbnails.

Once you have navigated to this Media Pool Thumbnails folder select and DELETE ALL the thumbnails.

Now close out of all this folder hunting and restart your Vegas project. Your Project Media window should now be showing nothing but the correct thumbnails for that project. Vegas just rebuilds the Media Pool thumbnails again. Problem solved.

Sony is aware of this issue so hopefully it will be rectified in the next build. If it happens again just go through this exercise again.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I always name my files after a shoot. For example if the shoot if for Smith Corp, I do a group re-name eg.,SmithCam1 and windows automatically renames them SmithCam1 (001) SmithCam1 (002) and so on. It takes about 10 seconds to rename hundreds of clips. It is too simple to do. You should never see your issue Renton if you give your clips exclusive names.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Christopher. I'll have a go at that when I get home tonight.

Jeff: I always use unique descriptive names for my files. I would be dead without them. But I must say, not seeing the correct thumbnail is disconcerting...
Old June 17th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I was mistaken. Have not seen this issue since I began renaming files, a couple of years ago, so those of us who do not suffer from it are lucky apparently.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Major Player

If you're in a rush, at least it renders correctly.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Trustee

wow, I second what Jeff said,
I had this issue a fair few times with AVCHD footage in completely different Sub folders/ Folders/ Drives, but with the same name ie 00001.mts 00002.mts etc.
But since renaming every file ie smith_gh2_01.mts smith_gh2_02.mts etc I have never once had it happen again.
If it can happen with absolute unique file names, that is very worrying.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks Christopher.

I just got around to working on my project again and went through your instructions on getting correct thumbnails back...and it worked a treat.

Much appreciated!

Renton
Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Trustee

No probs.

If more than one project has files with the same numbers/names then the problem arises as all thumbnails from all projects end up in the 'Media Pool Thumbnails' folder. Vegas v12 is the first version with a folder of this name so something totally different is going on with the way v12 is working. In v11 and earlier which don't have this folder the issue doesn't arise, or very rarely. In earlier versions it's bad news when it does happen as it usually indicates a corrupt database.

As others have posted do a complete batch rename in explorer of all the files off each card or disc giving them a unique project identifier and all should be good.

Smooth cutting!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...