DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Finished edit in Vegas - need to send to another editor for grading (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/517251-finished-edit-vegas-need-send-another-editor-grading.html)

Ian Whelan June 17th, 2013 01:52 PM

Finished edit in Vegas - need to send to another editor for grading

Hi all - I just completed a documentry for TV. This was shot on a FS100 and FS700 and edited in Vegas. However now I Need to send it to be professionally graded. But he is a Mac/Final Cut user. What suggestions would you have for this?

This is a rough cut of the film in case you are interested...

password: pony

All help greatly appreciated!

James Manford June 17th, 2013 05:06 PM

Re: Finished edit in Vegas - need to send to another editor for grading

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Whelan (Post 1800732)
Hi all - I just completed a documentry for TV. This was shot on a FS100 and FS700 and edited in Vegas. However now I Need to send it to be professionally graded. But he is a Mac/Final Cut user. What suggestions would you have for this?

This is a rough cut of the film in case you are interested...

Private Video on Vimeo

password: pony

All help greatly appreciated!

I'm pretty sure (wild guess) that it's impossible ...

Only thing I would suggest is you render it at the highest quality possible and send the rendered file in for grading.

Grading should realistically just be done in Vegas because you used that for editing.

And what do you mean by professionally graded? what makes him professional at it? because he understands how to correctly grade? or because he's using some expensive kit like davinci resolve? because if you understand how to correctly grade you can do a pretty good job in sony vegas.

Leslie Wand June 17th, 2013 05:50 PM

dnxhd at full res?

Gerald Webb June 17th, 2013 09:52 PM

DNXHD is a good choice as Leslie said.
Or, another option, you could download the Cineform Studio trial
Cineform
(15 day trial, after that you can read the files, just not write to it).
Get your Mac friend to do the same, or even the free decoder if he doesn't have it yet.
He can rewrap it to .mov and do his thing and just render it out to Prores 444, which you can do whatever with back in Windows.
Advantage over DNXHD?
Not much unless you are looking for a bit more quality that you may or may not see.
Cineform will up convert your color space to 422 and let you export a 10 or even 12bit 444 file, and you have the active metadata should you need to fix/change something at last minute.
Just another option I guess.

Al Bergstein June 18th, 2013 05:37 AM

Doesn't he know? I'm surprised that a professional doesn't know what other formats to tell you to use. Most of them I met in LA used avid, so Dnxhd w,ould seem logical. I certainly would check his refernces before paying him, though.

Ian Whelan June 24th, 2013 01:47 AM

I actually have not spoken to the grader yet - I just wanted to get all the info I needed in advance so I don't look like a complete idiot when I talk to him! Thanks for all your help...