Rendering for IPad??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 21st, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Rendering for IPad???

Hi Guys

For weddings I usually supply the brides wedding video also on a USB thumbdrive and simply render my 1980x1080 clips using Sony AVC (MP4) and use the 1280x720 25P preset on Vegas 10e.

I don't own an iPad, only an Android Tablet and the file play the videos great on the Tablet but does anyone know if they will also play on an iPad or iPad 2 without any issues or is another option more compatible??

Anyone there with MP4 files rendered in Vegas played the MP4's on their iPad at all??? (All this assumes that an expensive USB Apple adapter is available of course as iPads have no SD or USB slots at all)

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; June 21st, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Rendering for IPad???

I often transfer MP4 files to my ipad for presentations and they work fine. If you're using an SD card adapter to transfer them, the files need to be in your DCIM folder and MUST be named in 8 characters or they won't be found.

example:
wedding1.mp4
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

I have an iPad2 and transfer mp4 files regularly. I haven't tried transferring the way Duane suggests, as I normally make up the file on the pc and transfer to the iPad using an app called Flash Drive and the usual iTunes connection.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I have an Ipad 3 (the first HD version of the Ipad) and it works fine with the MP4's I create. I suspect that the Ipad 2 or the original Ipad might choke on it though.

My settings are Main Concept AVC/AAC (MP4) at 1920x1080, variable bit rate, 2 pass, 25.000 pal, 14,000,000 max bps 10,000,000 average bps, audio 48000hz 384,000 bps. This takes a long time to render but the 2-pass does make a significant difference in some of my media such as stills with distinct lines like brickwork.

These play as is when I transfer them to the Ipad (using itunes or a program called Docs to Go). I haven't tried a card reader as i cannot be ar**d to throw any more good money at Apple. They also play as is on my Galaxy S3. The files sizes tend to come out at 4 - 8 gb for 1 to 2 hour shows.

Clients get these as well. I supply them on dual layer discs if necessary. The disc includes a note printed on the surface to copy the file to a hard drive for smooth playback and in separate notes I tell the clients to use their own devices conversion software if the files are too difficult to digest.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

Much appreciated! I haven't had anyone specifically ask for "My wedding on my iPad" so I assume that MP4 files will work fine now. So far I have been supplying brides (when they want the extra USB thumb drive) 1280x720 and no-one has come back to me about non functioning so I'm assuming that they are managing to get them onto their iPad themselves without any issues.

Quite often that are way, way smarter than us oldies!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Trustee

too true chris...

i gave up teaching when my students started asking how to put an expression into an after effects composition....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...