DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVD menu corrupted but film track plays fine? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/519060-dvd-menu-corrupted-but-film-track-plays-fine.html)

Jordan Brindle September 20th, 2013 03:46 AM

DVD menu corrupted but film track plays fine?

Sorry to start another thread in such a short time but i am delivering this DVD to my client tonight and appreciate any help in getting this fixed asap! :)

I have rendered the full basic project in DVD Architect onto a DVD-R disc. There is no recompression with any of the DVD tracks however the Menu is 'recompressed due to composited graphics' which i can't get away from since i am using DVD Architect's buttons and a custom, basic .PSD background image. The menu background is a series of JPG's with a basic transparent photoshop overlay and DVD Architect buttons+text.

When i put the DVD in, it plays for a few seconds then the menu starts to become corrupted and distorted until i hit Play on the first track and the track itself works perfectly fine. Once the track comes to an end and it returns to the DVD menu there is no longer any corruption and the menu plays through fine. If i leave it for a long time it begins to corrupt again until i play the same/another track. I have tried rendering multiple versions of the DVD on different speeds, 4x, 6x, 16x etc.

Any ideas?

Here's how it looks imgur: the simple image sharer

Jo Ouwejan September 20th, 2013 03:54 AM

Re: DVD menu corrupted but film track plays fine?

I never tried to use a psd file, but reading the error text I have the idea that is where you could look at. Try a jpg file instead, to find out, whether the psd file is your troublemaker.

Tim Lewis September 20th, 2013 04:42 AM

If you are going to use a PSD file, it may be a good idea to ensure the "maximise compatibility" setting is on as this stores a flattened version of the image as well in the file for versions of Photoshop below 3.0 which is when layers were introduced to Ps.

Don Bloom September 20th, 2013 05:07 AM

I've never had a problem using a PSD image or images BUT, lets try a few things.
First play the DVD in another machine just to check it
Second confirm it plays thru in DVDA on your computer
(Actually 1 and 2 can be switched either way)
Third while I've never had a problem using PSD files try a JPG or PNG
Fourth burn at 4X-some players have a problem if the disc is burned at a higher speed
Fifth could it be a bad disc.

Just throwing some stuff on the wall to see if anything sticks.

Jordan Brindle September 20th, 2013 10:17 AM

Hi guys thanks all for your input.

Don, i have swapped out the PSD for a PNG, nothing is being compressed except the menu buttons etc which DVDA has to compress. The menu background slideshow is rendered perfectly for PAL DVD, as is the audio, There is a good 40% space free on the DVD still.

I have burnt 20 or so DVD's with my 2 year old DVD/BD RW drive and played them all on my old ass crappy (and only) Hyundai DVD player right now. DVD's which appear to work fine through 2, 3, 4+ minute playthroughs on the main menu i remove then put back in the player later on and they are corrupted within the first minute? None of them appear to work (at least not reliably). Yet the film will play through fine every time?

These are not expensive DVD's, they are basic DVD-R TDK 16x recordable DVD's. My DVD player is old (and i should have another but i don't). Yet that doesn't explain why the film works perfectly and the menu does not?

The DVD's run perfectly fine on my computer in the DVD BD/RW drive. It all runs fine in Architect. Could it just be a DVD player issue? Why only the main menu? I better go test it on another player. In the meantime can anyone think of any other reasons this is happening?

/bangsheadonwall

Thanks!

Don Bloom September 20th, 2013 12:35 PM

Jordan,
Am I understanding that all of the DVDs you just tried in your DVD player didn't play the menu correctly?
If that's the case before you burn anymore, take all of those DVDs to a friends house and try playing them on that DVD player to see what happens.
IF the play OK then you know it's the DVD player. If they don't then it's something in the DVDA prepare/render sequence that's causing the problem.

Jordan Brindle September 26th, 2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1813924)
Jordan,
Am I understanding that all of the DVDs you just tried in your DVD player didn't play the menu correctly?
If that's the case before you burn anymore, take all of those DVDs to a friends house and try playing them on that DVD player to see what happens.
IF the play OK then you know it's the DVD player. If they don't then it's something in the DVDA prepare/render sequence that's causing the problem.

Hi Don, thought i would update you.

It was hard to tell exactly what the problem was! Since sometimes they would run fine in my home DVD player, other times the corruption would pop up - sometimes it would run through the main menu 5+ times then on the 6th become corrupted. Other times i would take that same DVD out and it would be corrupted straight away or play fine again.

I burnt a final DVD for the couple and gave it to them. They have watched it many times and loved it, so i can only assume there were no problems! I didn't want to ask for fear of sounding unprofessional! I later tried some of the copies in a friends DVD player, i didn't leave it on the menu for very long as i was in a hurry but we watched the film and again, it worked fine. So i've handed the copies over and as far as im concerned im done with it. Problem could be my DVD player but this time round i just didn't allow myself enough time to thoroughly test it. Here's hoping its all ok!

Next time round im going to have an extra, newer DVD player + alternative DVD brand to make sure this thing doesn't happen again. Thanks for the help.