DVD Architect - multiple items using same media? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 26th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: DVD Architect - multiple items using same media?

One last thing to keep in mind is that any warnings that DVDA may give about file size is generally about 1/2 a gig larger than the actual size of the file so the best way to figure it out is to look at the file size in the Explorer. That is the actual file size of the video and then add the size of the audio and add some for the menus especially if they're motion menus.
Also keep in mind that a DVD of 4.37 gig size is NOT 4.37 gigs. It is smaller due to formatting of the disc. It's actually about 4.3 gigs which may not seem like a big loss of space but it can make a difference when rendering.
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Regarding the still image against 24/96 audio, the DVD-Video standard includes several types of media that can be authored for use on a DVD.

For sure, DVDA will by default turn your still into video. However, there are also slide shows and music compilations, which have different behaviors, and won't turn your still into video.

Although I'm up on the spec, I've never actually done this in DVDA, and don't know how chapters might work in a slide show or music compilation. Maybe just as you want them too.

Check out the help file, and here's a thread over on Sony's web site:
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

In that thread, note that people are also discussing rendering still images to very low bitrate video. This is another approach, but, a real DVD-Video slideshow keeps your stills as stills.
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #18
New Boot

Thanks for the further replies.

It seems that even if it is possible within the DVD spec to call up a particular picture/video to accompany a particular audio track, it isn't something that DVD Architect lets you do.

Having said that, some further Googling has pointed me towards presenting the files as a series of menus as a possible workaround (is this what Ron was suggesting above? Apologies if I misunderstood that).

At the moment I'm re-rendering my main feature as VBR with a slightly lower maximum which should allow the accompanying audio to be brought in at AC3 of a decent bitrate without the combined rate going too high.

This may all well come in at an overall size small enough for a dual layer disc - if not, I'll look in to the menu option.
Yousef Sheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #19
New Boot

I've just realized that when I right-click and check the properties of the previous main feature render it shows the bitrate as 9.5 - which should be low enough to allow for my AC3 audio at the chosen bitrate.

But when I try to prepare the DVD files in DVDA, it states that the media needs re-compressing as it is in 24p. I thought that having rendered out the footage in Vegas as the "NTSC widescreen 24p DVD Architect" template that this would not be necessary as the pulldown flags would be inserted by Vegas.

My worry is that if I've gone to the trouble of doing a 2-pass VBR encode in Vegas, what is DVDA going to do to my media?
Yousef Sheikh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...