DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Upgrade video preview problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/519587-vegas-upgrade-video-preview-problem.html)

David Stoneburner October 21st, 2013 08:05 AM

Vegas Upgrade video preview problem

I've been running Vegas on my laptop and on a recent upgrade I know longer see any video on the program video screen. Audio is fine, I get thumbnails, I see video in the trimmer window, I hear audio and see waveforms, but not in the program screen. It is just black and also exports black. I have tried both video files that have worked in the past and simple jpgs with the same results. I was on the version of Vegas 12 pro before 701? I don't remember the exact numbers. I went from 600 something to I think it was 714. Not going to the early 700 because it had some problems from what I read. That is when the video problem first came up. I tried complete uninstall/reinstall of both Vegas and of QuickTime, since I had found that solution somewhere in the forums. Still no use. I did an uninstall and went back to 500 something because I couldn't find a 600 version, and I still have the same problem. My laptop specs are a older, but I don't do my main editing on it. I usually just use it to do live location recording from my camera or a quick 30 sec video. I have an Dell with 2 gigs of ram, AMD Turion processor and integrated Radeon graphics. It's an old laptop but runs Win 7 and simple Vegas 12 pro editing and recording just fine. At least it did till recently. Sony tech support is a little stumped and are thinking it's the type of video, but as I said a simple jpg won't work either. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Graham Bernard October 22nd, 2013 01:47 AM

Re: Vegas Upgrade video preview problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Stoneburner (Post 1817660)
I see video in the trimmer window, . . . and also exports black. . . . Thanks in advance for any ideas.

OK, it COULD be that you have the Trimmer Monitor set to ON and that this is diverting your Video stream away from the Main Preview. But, when you say "export" do you mean rendering out to another format or viewing on an external monitor? It's this "export" comment that has me banjax-ed . . . .

Interesting....

Grazie

David Stoneburner October 22nd, 2013 08:02 AM

Thanks for the input. I should have clarified. The one export I tried to mp4 ended up with black video. It's strange.

Graham Bernard October 23rd, 2013 01:19 AM

OK, make sure you included Video in your render.

Grazie

David Stoneburner November 21st, 2013 09:09 AM

Just wanted to bump this up to see if anybody has any suggestions. My video preview is completely gone. I have uninstalled and installed an earlier version of V12 that use to work with no luck, I event tried going back to V9. I did another uninstall and cleaned my system, installed the latest and still no luck. No video preview and just black video on output, audio is fine. Again, I can see video from the timeline in the trimmer window. Any ideas? I'm stumped to start looking for the problem, especially since it worked before.

Thanks,

Mike Kujbida November 21st, 2013 09:13 AM

David, that is indeed very strange. Please post a veg file for this this project (we can substitute our own media) and let us give it a try to see if we can figure out what's going wrong.

David Stoneburner November 22nd, 2013 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Will do. I'll try to get one in the next day. Thanks
Here is the veg file. Hopefully it's just some dumb setting that I'm missing, but it's driving my nuts. Thanks for any help.

David Stoneburner November 26th, 2013 08:46 PM

Ok so I fixed my problem. Was it simple...yes. Do I feel stupid...yes. Have I uninstalled V12 numerous times...yes. Quicktime...yes. Display drivers...yes. Did that fix the problem...no. So what was it? Well I had never noticed the selection before, but it finally popped out to me in the options section "video mute". How it got selected I don't know, but once I deselected it my video output came back. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I honestly never noticed the selection before. ;)

Graham Bernard November 27th, 2013 03:45 AM

Waaah!!!! - O...K...

G

Mike Kujbida November 27th, 2013 08:09 AM

David, my apologies for missing your post with the veg file. I'm glad you were able to figure things out though. Things like this have caught most of us at one time or another and we want to put on the dunce cap and go sit in a corner :)

Jeff Harper November 27th, 2013 09:01 AM

Whoa, I've never seen or noticed "video mute". I'm so glad you shared this with us David. If it happens to any of us we will know what to do. This is very valuable information!

David Stoneburner November 27th, 2013 10:05 AM

Well there you go. Happy Holidays! You know most of my crew are students at the university where I work and I'm am constantly telling them "attention to detail". Here is a lesson that I can share with them. I'm thinking that I never noticed the mute selection because I have rarely went into that options tab. By the way there is a mute audio too. Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jo Ouwejan November 27th, 2013 11:55 AM

But if you mute a track, you can see clearly, that this in action, by the fact, that the whole track is darkened?

David Stoneburner December 2nd, 2013 12:20 PM

I didn't mute the track, I muted video by accident. In the options tab at the top look for a mute video selection. When that was selected, what I saw was the thumbnails on my timeline, but no video out just audio. Even when I rendered it was black video and just audio, so there was no track indication that I could see.