Rendering BR and DVD twice?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 24th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Rendering BR and DVD twice??

I shoot 1920/50P for weddings and in Vegas Pro 11, I render out to the Main Concept default bluray template....that works fine. (DVD and Bluray content are identical in terms of what the viewer watches.)
Then, I do the same for DVD using the Main Concept (except in progressive) template. Also works fine.

Seems to me I'm doubling my workload, especially when a timeline is heavy with color correction etc.
Can anyone suggest a better way than having to render the same project twice?
It also has to be compatible with DVD Architect. Thanks!!
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Rendering BR and DVD twice??

As you are sending to two different output formats, you'll certainly have to render twice.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Edward,...I was wondering if I could render to a full HD format and use that to render the mpeg2 file.
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Sure. But it's still two renders. You would take your blue ray output, put it on the timeline, and render again to MPEG2 for the standard DVD. Don't know if it would be any faster. You'd have to check and see.
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Will do Edward...it would have to be much faster if the original timeline was FX heavy.
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Sure. But it's still two renders. You would take your blue ray output, put it on the timeline, and render again to MPEG2 for the standard DVD. Don't know if it would be any faster. You'd have to check and see.

Seems to me if he is not having to deal with all of the color corrections again that it should be a lot faster.

This would depend on how much and what type of color correction(s) were originally used as well as his system.

It would be great if one could use a batch file to have Vegas render all of this in an automatic way! Going far beyond regions with scripts!

I use batch files for Handbrake and some other apps. Why not Vegas as well?
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Problem is...as far as I know, you can't put rendered bluray video files on the timeline even though Vegas rendered them originally. You can create a bluray iso image, mount it then bring the files in that way which does work but It just seems a bit long winded.
My original question was only in regard to avoiding e.g. two hour plus renders x2.
Is there maybe a third party software that can render hd from Vegas down to mpeg2?
I know Handbrake can't.....
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

There is no way to avoid rendering twice, not really. To re-render the BR file makes no sense. Unless I'm missing something here, you just need to do it if you are putting out in two formats. Bite the bullet and get'er done. I put out in three formats, so I render three times. I know your pain.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt View Post
...Is there maybe a third party software that can render hd from Vegas down to mpeg2?
I know Handbrake can't.....
Sure, any of the premium encoders can easily set up a batch encode. For example, in Sorenson Squeeze you can set up a watch folder, have Vegas render a master to that folder, then Squeeze will automatically pick it up and run some preset encodes on it, for example to BR, DVD-MPEG2, YouTube, whatever.

You'll pay for the privilege, but sometimes it's well worth it.
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #10

No matter what you do or how you do it, in short you must render multiple times - period.
Old October 27th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Seth, you mention Sorenson Squeeze and I have downloaded the free trial and used it to create a mpg file for DVD from the rendered m2v HD file which was created in Vegas. It plays fine and looks great....only thing is that DVD Architect Pro 5.2 doesn't recognise it....which kind of negates the whole process.
Can anyone help me on this as I think the Squeeze mpg looks much better than the Vegas rendered mpg?
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...