How do I render an MOV file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 7th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Major Player

How do I render an MOV file

Final cuts exports an mov file (h.264) can vegas render this type of file? I am using the latest version of Vegas pro. I see mov render settings but they don't seem to be what I need. Original footage was shot 1920X1080p. Mpeg 2 does not seem to have a render setting to match the file, It makes me downscale to 720P..
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How do I render an MOV file

Is there a specific reason why it has to be an mov file?
When I've had to give other people mov files, I render out a high bitrate mp4 file using either the Sony or MainConcept AVC templates, change the extension from mp4 to mov and give it to them.
This has included Avid and FCP users and no one has complained or even noticed :)

Last edited by Mike Kujbida; November 7th, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mike:

The spot is going to a cable company and they are requesting either an mov or mpeg2 file. They no longer accept mpeg4. I'm just trying to maintain the full 1920x1080. Is the sony version of mpeg4 of higher quality then the main concept? They look about the same to me.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Old Boot

Sorry, but why not ask the Company what specifications they want?

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Kevin;
I deal with our local cable company a lot and do exactly what I described.
Even though I have Pro 11 and 12, I still use Pro 10 with a modified Sony AVC Internet 1920x1080-30p preset to render the mp4 files. My cable company wants 1920x1080 @ 60i so I change the template from progressive to interlaced and save it under a new name.
I'm sure there's a difference between the Sony and MC encoders but, to be honest, I have no idea what they are or if there's a significant quality difference, all settings being equal.
I've found that the key is to get a good preset (i.e. bitrate amount, progressive vs. interlaced, etc.) and then save it as a preset for future use.
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Sorry, but why not ask the Company what specifications they want?

G
Grazie, unlike national broadcasters who have engineers on staff, it's been my experience with the local cable company (lots of producers but no engineer to talk to) that they are not as technically knowledgeable as I would like so I end up doing a lot of experimenting to discover what works best with their particular system and then stick with it.
This is the case in my part of the world. Things may be different where Kevin is so that is a good suggestion and one worth following up.
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Old Boot

Mike, seemed obvious to me, otherwise we'd be chasing our collective spec'ed tails on this.

Sure I understand the low-tec no-tec experience - one of my most appreciative clients STILL insists that anything I do for him as a DVD. Even though I've been delivering much of the output through WMV or MP4 as files on a platter for presentation purposes!

I'd enjoy your descriptions of trail and error sometime.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Mike, seemed obvious to me, otherwise we'd be chasing our collective spec'ed tails on this.

Sure I understand the low-tec no-tec experience - one of my most appreciative clients STILL insists that anything I do for him as a DVD. Even though I've been delivering much of the output through WMV or MP4 as files on a platter for presentation purposes!

I'd enjoy your descriptions of trail and error sometime.

Grazie

Grazie, it all began several years ago when my local cable company got their first automated playback server.
I had been delivering everything to them on tape which meant "print to tape" time for me and real time transfer for them. I was eagerly looking forward to being able to bring them files on an external hard drive.
That's when the problems began.
Their first sever was supposed to be able to handle DV-AVI files generated by Vegas but nothing we tried worked. I spoke to a tech from the server manufacturer and uploaded a test file for him to experiment with but we could not get it to work.
The solution was to give them an MPEG-2 file with embedded audio. That worked and for a few years I rendered out 8 MB. CBR MPEG-2 files and brought them a hard drive. Everyone was happy!!
Then they upgraded their server (different manufacturer this time) and we went back to the beginning.
After trying a number of different formats, I settled on MXF (still SD).
Then came HD (they are 1920x1080 @ 60i) and more format trials.
MXF (one of the default Vegas templates) to the rescue once again!!
This had an added benefit for them as they use FCP and could get short programs (under 5 min.) in MOV format into their server but long ones (30 min. or more) would fail even though MOV was supposedly an accepted format.
One of their producers found a free utility that would rewrap MOV files into MXF files and they were happy once again.
Ah, the joys of modern technology :)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...