Is this disturbed or what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Is this disturbed or what?

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph7492/59698.png
whole link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/t...290x-review/18

I have for nearly two years believed that Nvidia's CUDA was the real deal when it comes to gpu acceleration in Vegas Pro... But this picture/test score, wrong me...

Is AMD's OpenCL computing better withing Vegas Pro then Nvidia's CUDA?

AMD OpenCL vs NVIDIA CUDA - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips

-"In the latest version of Sony Vegas, OpenCL is significantly faster than CUDA, in the latest version of the Adobe creative suite, OpenCL is also significantly faster than CUDA."

-"+1, Logan from Tek Syndicate switched out his Nvidia card with an AMD card when OpenCL support came to Adobe CC, he says it's miles faster."

I was up to buy the new GTX 780Ti tomorrow, but after this, I do need some more reading. Had no idea AMD cards was better then Nvidia cards with applications like Vegas Pro and Adobe CC...

All the time, I read peoples anger after having bought a Geforce 6XX, 7XX and Titan card, and waits years for better compatible with Vegas Pro. Maybe there never will be any better?
And I almost never hear anything about AMD cards for gpu acceleration, how come if opencl is so much faster?

/Happy editing =/

Last edited by Kim Olsson; November 12th, 2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added a link
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Is this disturbed or what?

Hi Kim,
Yep, I saw that article too.
Still researching, but looks like a R9 290 is on my Christmas list.
My GTX580 is abysmal in Vegas, makes playback and rendering slower when enabled.
Would like to see some more bemch marks.
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Very interesting article, and great timing because I certainly am in the market to replace my 580. I am fairly convinced that in my case the 580 is often to blame for frequent crashes while editing and rendering. I put together quite complex projects much of the time and these are not stable when operating across multiple monitors using GPU acceleration but are, for the most part, solid when I work on a single monitor (which I just can't do any more!).

What I am keen to know about this new AMD card is how stable it is with Vegas, and whether all third party plugins will play nicely with it (remember the 'NVidia only' situation with Looks a few years back?). Equally as important is how well it works with After Effects and Cinema4D.

When I say 'stable', I'm not talking about stable when working on a simple two or three track job with some CC and titles - I mean stable when working on a complex project with, say, 20+ tracks, maybe some nesting, some 3d alpha tracks, multiple video, audio and image formats, tons of keyframing and heavy duty plugins like Looks and Titler Pro etc etc.

Faster rendering (and previewing, which is more important to me) is one thing, but that performance increase is worthless if it isn't accompanied by a quantum improvement in stability.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi guys.
Another source: techPowerUp! - The latest in hardware and gaming

Yes I do also care more about faster preview playback and stability. Faster rendering is for me only a big plus.
Anyway, the gtx 780Ti is now forgotten because my primary use wont be games.
R9 290 or R9 290X is really interesting. Im going to buy one and se how it goes. Sad about amd's new cooler. Very noisy according to all the reviews. I might wait until they release a third party cooler. Might take a couple of weeks....

Wonder who spread the word "its all about the cudas" when buying a gpu for vegas pro or adobe..

/Kim
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Guess what? The "OpenGL vs. CUDA" comparison for Adobe Creative Suite CC is not as meaningful as it seems because the FireGL GPUs' hardware specs are superior to those of the competing Quadro GPUs to begin with. For example, the FirePro W5000 has twice as many unified shader cores as the comparably priced Quadro K2000 (768 versus 384), and also has 60 percent greater memory bandwidth (102.4 GB/s versus 64 GB/s) than the K2000. So naturally, the GPU with the superior hardware specs would definitely win in this comparison regardless of whether the GPU uses OpenCL or CUDA.

Last edited by Randall Leong; November 13th, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Major Player

You are proberly right.. But im refering more at "After a successful collaboration with AMD (Adobe)"..

They have become more like a partner... Like Nvidia was in the beginning
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Wouldn't know, I have an AMD with OpenCL and Vegas keeps crashing with GPU acceleration activated.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Major Player

A crash because of a certain graphiccard? That could be 1 reason of 500 possible other reasons why Vegas crash..

By the way which amd card do you use?
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Olsson View Post
You are proberly right.. But im refering more at "After a successful collaboration with AMD (Adobe)"..

They have become more like a partner... Like Nvidia was in the beginning
This enhanced OpenCL support is due for inclusion in the next major release of Creative Cloud. The OpenCL support in the current version of Adobe Premiere CC is simply slapped in rather than integrated properly (or more correctly, the OpenCL engine in the current version of Premiere CC is missing a lot of the acceleration features that the CUDA engine has). As a result, AMD GPUs that cost $500 are slower in OpenCL mode than Nvidia GPUs that cost $250 in CUDA mode in the currently available version of Premiere CC.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Major Player

If you say so. I have never used a AMD GPU card in my whole life.

But whats your thoughts about AMD and Vegas Pro?

AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 290X Review

Anandtech did test, high end "gaming" graphic cards (Nvidia/Amd). When redering to XDCAM EX, the fastest cards was: AMD Radeon HD 7970 and R9 290X. They rendered the project almost half the time compared to the Nvidia Titan..

Maybe Amd isnt so great at using the GPU for accelerate preview playback, I dont know.
Think I have to test it before I speak. But it looks like there only is the R9 290X with referens cooler for now. Can take months before third party cooler comes out with the new R9 290X.

2 days ago everything was so easy. I was going to buy nvidia 780Ti.... now its so complicated =/
Old November 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Like Nicholas, Vegas crashes for me with GPU on also. I turn off GPU and and everything is fine.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Major Player

What graphiccard do you use Jeff?
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #13
Inner Circle

460 SE. It's the same issue many people have had with GPU acceleration with some cards. I have had installs where it worked "OK". Rendering with it's fine, but during editing it's no good.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #14
Major Player

But 460 Se (gtx), isnt that a nvidia card??
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Yes you are correct, it is an Nvidia card.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...