DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Which archive format is best? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/520722-archive-format-best.html)

Herm Stork December 20th, 2013 05:48 PM

Which archive format is best?

When I have completed a project (shot with AVCHD video - .mts) and no further editing is needed, which format should I use to archive the project?

One friend says XDCAM EX (*MP4) HQ 1920x1080-60i, 35 Mbps VBR, another swears by HD 1080-60i avi (huge files!) and another says to use Sony AVC/MVC Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Kujbida December 20th, 2013 08:19 PM

Re: Which archive format is best?

Hard drives are so cheap these days that I archive the original footage, veg files, and all other video, audio and graphics associated with the project.
Keeping everything in one master folder with as many sub folders as I need makes this procedure very easy to do.

Leslie Wand December 20th, 2013 09:09 PM

+1 to mike ;-)

seems rather pointless doing anything else - though i do also add final render copies (mp4, xdcam, dvd, etc.,) in a separate folder - saves having to render again...

Mike Kujbida December 20th, 2013 10:03 PM

Leslie, thanks for the reminder about final renders. I do that too but neglected to mention it. The cold wet weather must be affecting what few brain cells I still have :)

Leslie Wand December 20th, 2013 11:03 PM

while the hot weather here continues to fry the few cells i have left....

have an extremely joyous humbug, and all the best for the new year... and that goes for all you other old farts hanging around here...

Robert Garvey December 24th, 2013 01:15 AM

I have been quite happy using the Sony.MXF file which I believe is the native format for Vegas Pro. It is fairly customizable. I use the settings of HD - 1920x1080. progressive and at a bit rate of 50 Mbps which is better then the 35 max offered by the XDCAM EX format. Additionally you can choose a 4:2:2 colour depth. It will also play back smoothly using VLC Media player so works well for portfolio presentations on my laptop. The file sizes are also disk friendly. If you use any .mxf clips in other projects and apply no changes then Vegas does not need to re-render these clips when going to .mxf again.

At least that is what I think?

Cheers,
Robert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herm Stork (Post 1825223)
When I have completed a project (shot with AVCHD video - .mts) and no further editing is needed, which format should I use to archive the project?

One friend says XDCAM EX (*MP4) HQ 1920x1080-60i, 35 Mbps VBR, another swears by HD 1080-60i avi (huge files!) and another says to use Sony AVC/MVC Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Junior Pascual December 24th, 2013 01:33 PM

+1 to Mike. Include all renders, dvd/BD files (.vob, .iso), DVDA project files (.dar).

Happy Holidays to all!

Jr. Pascual
49 Producions

Jim Michael December 24th, 2013 02:20 PM

To me archive implies preserving for a "long time" where you have to define the time horizon, as opposed to maintaining backups to mitigate against risk of loss from failure of storage media etc. Therefore the format should be one you can expect to be able to be read by software in common use at the end of the time horizon. The media should be one which you expect to be readable both from a hardware standpoint and longevity of the media. If your time horizon is more than 10 years be very careful with your choice of media since things change quickly with technology.