Stretching a face width wise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 25th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Trustee

Stretching a face width wise

I want to illustrate a point...the point being...a person under tension by being pulled in opposite directions...by reality pulling one way, and their philososphy pulling the opposite way (through it being out of line with reality).

I want to illustrate this by having a front-on photo of a persons head, with the head stretching two ways - to the left and to the right, from a centre line vertical through the nose. The distortion that would occur should (I think) only go from the centre line about half way to the ear on each side - or maybe the whole way but decreasing as it goes towards the ear.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this sort of look could be achieved?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Stretching a face width wise

I've discovered a filter in photoshop - spherize - that when set to horizontal, will do the job on individual photos/frames. I guess I could put a couple of hundred frames together to make up a movie but would prefer an easier way
Old December 25th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Spherize filter is also available in Vegas, but it seems to me more appropriate Pinch/Punch.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris Lielpeteris View Post
Spherize filter is also available in Vegas, but it seems to me more appropriate Pinch/Punch.
Thanks Juris, Appreciated. It appears that either of those two could serve my purpose. I can distort just the top of the head, suggesting the mind (even though the mind is immaterial) is being pulled in opposite directions.

Just have to get a suitable photo. I've tried hitting up a couple of my sons-in-law but they seem a bit reluctant to have their heads distorted for all the world to see!!!
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Trustee

Thought folks may like to know the solution I came up with. I used the Sony 'spherize' feature, centered on the forehead, and just expanded the forehead rather than the whole face. The expanding effect occurs over a couple of seconds...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...