An update with my Nvidia GTX 780 Ti.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 9th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Major Player

An update with my Nvidia GTX 780 Ti..

I have now use my Nvidia GTX 780 Ti when using Vegas pro 12 (build 770) along with a couple plug-ins...

I havent noticed any better performance when comparing with my older Nvidia GTX 670. They are performing about the same. Its also as stable...

Vegas have crashed a couple of times when I have used certain plug-ins while configured them (Sapphire plugins specifically). But when restarted Vegas again, it never occurs exactly the same time. Its like random crashes, different times.. So finishing a project has never been a problem.

I did alreay sense that this GPU didnt had any greater impact on Sony Vegas then my older GPU. But Vegas isnt my only GPU accelerated application, All the adobes softwares is utilizing this GPU like it should.
And I am hoping Sony Vegas 13 will be restuctured and modernized in the future...

I might do some kind of benchmark with my graphic card to compare in a more accurated way later on.

/Happy editing
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: An update with my Nvidia GTX 780 Ti..

which driver are you using?
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #3
Major Player

For now (since 7 January), I am using the recent 332.21 WHQL..

But before I updated, I was using 331.82 WHQL. I always using the recent drivers for my GPU.
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Trustee

thanks - i've read so much about 296.10 and 314.22 being 'stable', etc., but in all honesty have used that which win 7 suggested in updates.

so far so good.
Old January 12th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Kim thanks for update. Worth a mention, I solved some of my Vegas crashing issues by turning of Auto Ripple. I've noticed Vegas crash while playing back video if you do a ripple delete.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Inspired by this thread I updated my nVidia Quadro NVS 420 card's driver to the newest version 332.21 and just now observed an astonishing improvement while rendering my film, using the Sony AVC/MVC mp4 codec, set to 960x540-24fps and using the GPU encoding mode in High profile at an 8,000,000 bps. Whenever I render my work using these settings, I have to intently monitor my ASUS Sensor Recorder's dynamic graph to avoid dangerous levels of over heating.

Typically the temp graph will rapidly rise from a steady 40 C into the high 70's where it then periodically passes the 80 degree mark, dropping down at regular intervals to 78... up and down, up and down, always a degree or two under the critical point when I get the green warning alert popup for a second or two. Today the graph climbed very slowly from 40 to just under 50, where it remained, varying only occasionally by just one degree and thus it went for the next 10 minutes. What a relief!

This improvement has to be connected with the performance of nVidia's new driver, correct? I have done absolutely nothing with my hardware or software or Vegas settings or usage of plugins (none) to be able to think otherwise.
Old January 14th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Kim thanks for update. Worth a mention, I solved some of my Vegas crashing issues by turning of Auto Ripple. I've noticed Vegas crash while playing back video if you do a ripple delete.
Great Nicholas, I have never though about that auto ripple could be a reason for crashes...

I will test and observe from now on, and see if that would will work for me.
Old January 14th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger View Post
Inspired by this thread I updated my nVidia Quadro NVS 420 card's driver to the newest version 332.21 and just now observed an astonishing improvement while rendering my film, using the Sony AVC/MVC mp4 codec, set to 960x540-24fps and using the GPU encoding mode in High profile at an 8,000,000 bps. Whenever I render my work using these settings, I have to intently monitor my ASUS Sensor Recorder's dynamic graph to avoid dangerous levels of over heating.

Typically the temp graph will rapidly rise from a steady 40 C into the high 70's where it then periodically passes the 80 degree mark, dropping down at regular intervals to 78... up and down, up and down, always a degree or two under the critical point when I get the green warning alert popup for a second or two. Today the graph climbed very slowly from 40 to just under 50, where it remained, varying only occasionally by just one degree and thus it went for the next 10 minutes. What a relief!

This improvement has to be connected with the performance of nVidia's new driver, correct? I have done absolutely nothing with my hardware or software or Vegas settings or usage of plugins (none) to be able to think otherwise.
Paul, theoretical error in the driver could make a graphic card burn up I guess...

From my experience with faulty drivers, nvidia does work to fix them as soon as they can...
They will not let a faulty driver just floating around and ignoring the problems.
Its just a matter of time. But I just want the latest and greatest, because it can also have more benefits and not just "bugs"...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...