Does anyone stand while editing? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:24 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Does anyone stand while editing?

@Chris

Ask the folks in Oz and NZ how they keep their coffee from spilling while working upside down:<))
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:30 PM   #17
Trustee

no problems down here mate, gravity sucks so it still stays in the cup......
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #18
Major Player

I walk/jog/run on my treadmill while I render :)
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Major Player

i've been wanting to get one of the kneeling chairs, tried one in the store and really liked it. seems very peculiar but i've spoken to a few people who like it a lot
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #20
Major Player

I just made a makeshift stand on my regular desk. I like standing and working, and it feels a lot more healthy, especially after reading this:

How Sitting All Day Is Damaging Your Body and How You Can Counteract It
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Thanks for the article, Brian.

I work out regularly, and still am losing muscle mass, and it's largely due to sitting so much. I am getting up more often and it's helping me to feel better.

Darren, the kneeling chairs are very strange and very comfortable, tried one years ago in the store and liked it, didn't know what to make of it though! Don't know if I could work in one, let us know how it works out if you go that route please!
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Mike, not too shabby, I like it except it doesn't have the spiffy Craftsman logo on it :)
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt View Post
If I can find a way to shoot a wedding upside down, then I could edit the right way up and not have to worry about coffee spillage!!
I'm see an eye hook in the ceiling rigged with bungee cords & gaffers tape and a sippy cup contraption.
Old March 4th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #24
Major Player

I use a LifeSpan TR1200DT treadmill desk for all my computer work. If I do real detail work I slow it down or stop it to just stand still, but usually I plod along at about 2.0 mph. Takes an hour or two to get the hand of it, but works well for me. I have one or work and one for the house.

I only edit occasionally now, but my son runs a video business and loves the treadmill for editing.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I've never tried a treadmill desk myself.... only even occasionally tried a stand up desk. Maybe I just didn't have a good setup and only work for short periods before I get tired and want to sit. For some reason though I really like the idea of trying a treadmill desk. In theory the movement gets the blood flowing and keeps you more alert, would think this should help with improving concentration.
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Inner Circle

The reviews on Amazon for the LifeSpan are positively glowing. It is hard to imagine moving while editing, it sounds very counterintuitive, but users like Roger do seem to love it.

I think I'm going to begin by purchasing a comfortable tall chair, then raising my workstation up using brackets attached to the wall. I will then alternate standing and sitting.
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I think I'm going to begin by purchasing a comfortable tall chair, then raising my workstation up using brackets attached to the wall. I will then alternate standing and sitting.
Jeff, please post back how this works out for you... also if you can post a link to the chair you decide on if it is very comfortable. I've not had much luck at all finding a standing height chair that is very comfortable for very long.
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Gereg View Post
I've never tried a treadmill desk myself.... only even occasionally tried a stand up desk. Maybe I just didn't have a good setup and only work for short periods before I get tired and want to sit. For some reason though I really like the idea of trying a treadmill desk. In theory the movement gets the blood flowing and keeps you more alert, would think this should help with improving concentration.
Concentration improves greatly for me on the treadmill, but motor control is diminished slightly at 2.0 mph. If you slow it further to say 1.3mph you can edit most anything. The great part of the treadmill is if you edit for 4 hours only plodding along at 1.5mph, you just put in 6 miles!

There is some very alarming research indicating desk work can cause serious problems similar to those found in truck drivers and the likes (hemorrhoids, blood clots, collapsed veins, obesity ....). Unfortunately exercising alone doesn't really avoid many of these problems, they are often a function of how long you sit. Job 1 is to get off your tail as much as you can, so standing is good. Better is to have some low intensity movement (slow walking), best is to have some amount of vigorous exercise every day in addition to lots of less strenuous movement. Sedentary = bad.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
Concentration improves greatly for me on the treadmill, but motor control is diminished slightly at 2.0 mph. If you slow it further to say 1.3mph you can edit most anything. The great part of the treadmill is if you edit for 4 hours only plodding along at 1.5mph, you just put in 6 miles!

There is some very alarming research indicating desk work can cause serious problems similar to those found in truck drivers and the likes (hemorrhoids, blood clots, collapsed veins, obesity ....). Unfortunately exercising alone doesn't really avoid many of these problems, they are often a function of how long you sit. Job 1 is to get off your tail as much as you can, so standing is good. Better is to have some low intensity movement (slow walking), best is to have some amount of vigorous exercise every day in addition to lots of less strenuous movement. Sedentary = bad.
Definitely good to know! I work at a desk at least 60+ hours a week... not sure how sedentary I am though, I'm kinda antsy and move around a lot... running to get things and move things all the time. I for sure agree with you on the movement and exercise advice. I go to a gym and get in a good Crossfit workout 3 times a week combined with a clean diet... I feel so much better and more alert when I'm working... makes it all worth the effort.
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...