DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Does anyone stand while editing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/521754-does-anyone-stand-while-editing.html)

Jeff Harper February 19th, 2014 08:57 AM

Does anyone stand while editing?

Like many of us, I spend most of my day with Vegas, sitting at a desk. I have been looking at standing desks. Is anyone here editing while standing?

If you are what desk or adapter do you use?

Don Bloom February 19th, 2014 11:18 AM

Re: Does anyone stand while editing?

Jeff,
About 7 or 8 years ago I made my edit desk a stand up desk. I had hurt my back playing golf (I tried to pretend I could hit the ball like the pros and threw every ounce I had at the T shot. The result was a short shot and a hurt back) Anyway I actually liked it but my feet would bother me after a couple of hours. I worked like that for about 3 or 4 months then went back to sitting (my back felt good by then) and that's how I've been editing ever since. Of course I'm an old guy and my body can't do what it used to be able to so....

Jeff Harper February 19th, 2014 11:28 AM

Sounds like what I would expect, that I'd get tired of it or need to switch. I'm looking at adjustable options that would allow me sit or stand, but it's pricey.

Thanks for your feedback, Don.

Fran Guidry February 19th, 2014 12:40 PM

I figured out that sitting on anything was hurting me so I switched to a standup desk, but I found a stool just the right height to allow me to take occasional sit-down breaks. It's working pretty well.

Fran

Jeff Harper February 19th, 2014 01:21 PM

Sounds like an ideal solution, I like it. Thanks for sharing, Fran.

Jon Shohet February 21st, 2014 06:29 AM

I remember seeing Walter Murch editing "Cold Mountain" while standing on "The Cutting Edge" documentary. Seems like an inspiring way to work, though I never tried it myself.

Jeff Harper February 21st, 2014 09:08 AM

Interesting, Jon.

Also, I've found while poking around into the subject that working while standing is currently popular on the west coast. There are a lot of stand up desks available right now, even on Amazon.

Many desks on the market are motorized and adjustable, with the idea that one would periodically alternate height of your desk to change up positions for the most beneficial results.

I'm likely going to go with Fran's setup. I plan on an adjustable desk with tall, adjustable chair.

Ralph Gereg February 21st, 2014 04:42 PM

I've considered using one... but always shy away due to the high price and "weird" way that I like to have my desk configured with storage and whatnot. If you really want to get healthy, you could get a TreadDesk... basically a standing desk with a slightly modified treadmill.

Jeff Harper February 21st, 2014 04:44 PM

I saw a treadmill desk, not so sure about that idea!

I am thinking about mouning my present desk to the wall via brackets and just buying a tall chair. Would probably work fine.

Leslie Wand February 21st, 2014 05:06 PM

tried an assortment of techniques, includ. standing.

have found the best mode for myself (obviously) is a brisk 2km walk on getting up, 2hr stints sitting (alternating between my orthopedic office chair and a large exercise ball), with 15minute breaks for coffee / tea / whatever that does not require me sitting or in front of a screen, and another 2km walk in the evening.

mind you, i have the luxury of a quiet rural location and no clients sitting over my shoulder.

Justin Molush February 21st, 2014 06:34 PM

I have started doing this at home. At work I sit, since the desks arent standing desks, but at home I have been standing up and working and it is really a good change of pace. There are standing chairs which I am looking into for my next work place vs the good old aeron chairs.

Ralph Gereg February 21st, 2014 08:31 PM

I'm thinking that a prefabricated workshop workbench may work well as a very sturdy and spacious option for the base of a DIY type standing desk. They are designed to take abuse and be sturdy for working with tools and such on top and they are the right height for the average persons standing height.

Here is a quick example I found from Sears.

Craftsman Black Workbench: Work Tough with Sears

Chris Hewitt February 21st, 2014 08:50 PM

I have found the best method is to hang upside down from the ceiling like a bat at rest which means the computer etc are also upside down but in this way, blood rushes to the head thereby giving an increased capacity to think which, at the end of the day, means a quicker edit and more time for other activities. The idea of a treadmill on the ceiling is interesting but the tendency would be to run backwards and our house faces west during the winter months.
I am still having difficulties in this situation such as when my wife brings me in a cup of coffee and the inevitable happens....
If I can find a way to shoot a wedding upside down, then I could edit the right way up and not have to worry about coffee spillage!!

Josh Bass February 21st, 2014 08:51 PM

Not just popular on west coast. One energy giant here has adjustable desks for many employees, and id venture to guess every corporation with a large "no one gets hurt/safety first" culture has them as well. Probably everyone in the energy/construction/related industry. Very popular concept. I hate it cause my natural state is a relaxed slouch and my feet hurt after standing for a very short time.

Mike Kujbida February 21st, 2014 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ralph, $230 is s a lot of money for a workbench. I built one that was 2.5 ft. by 6 ft. out of 2x4s and scrap plywood I rescued from a theatre set that was going to be tossed out. Less than one day's labour and I was done. Even if you bought the lumber brand new your total cost would be under $100.