Speeding up SSDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Speeding up SSDs

I formerly used the fastest HDD available, the Cheetah 15.7K SAS drives and switched to SSD drives. I'm am now using SanDisk Extreme II drives.

Disappointed in the poor performance while editing. When I hit "undo" during multicam editing the wait time is like 15 seconds or more. Playback is about same as before, it's only the undo thing that is lagging. I use undo a LOT while editing so this is a real inconvenience.

Any of you performance geniuses (Kim!) have recommendations on things I should check to see if my SSDs are being held back?
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Speeding up SSDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Disappointed in the poor performance while editing. When I hit "undo" during multicam editing the wait time is like 15 seconds or more. Playback is about same as before, it's only the undo thing that is lagging. I use undo a LOT while editing so this is a real inconvenience.
I don't think it is an SDD problem. What should happen when you use a feature the first time, is that the code that runs the feature should load from the SDD into system RAM (your NLE process' working set) where it gets executed. Unless memory is really tight, it won't be pushed out of the working set. Even if memory is tight, the stuff that gets pushed out is the stuff that was least recently used. If you are using the "undo" command a lot, it's almost certainly in your working set continuously.

Even if your system has to recall that undo code each and every time you use it, 15 seconds is an eternity (as you well note) to a computer. I suggest you start monitoring your process with the resource monitor to see if you can catch any spikes occurring anywhere in your system when you're using the undo command. I'm thinking in particular that you might have some paging going on (to a HDD maybe).
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well Bruce, great minds think alike! At the time of writing I had just turned off paging, disabled cache flusing, disabled pre-fetch and superfetch.

I'll report back soon. Thanks for your suggestions.

I did try an undo command and it appeared about 50% faster, I'll do a reboot, keep editing and see what happens. I think your idea of the paging thing might be on target.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Since taking the above steps it's smidgen faster Bruce, still too much lag though.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Where are your temporary files (i.e. the "undo" files) located?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Major Player

I'd recommend testing your SSD to see if it is performing normally.

Atto Disk Benchmark
ATTO Disk Benchmark Free Download

For your drive you should be seeing around 500MB/s read and write.

My only other thought is if you're using Windows XP, you will need to manually TRIM the SSD to restore any lost performance.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

@ Edward: I don't know, wherever they are at by default.

@ Jody, I don't use Softonic for downloads nor do I use Cnet or similar sites, but I appreciate the recommendation.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
I formerly used the fastest HDD available, the Cheetah 15.7K SAS drives and switched to SSD drives. I'm am now using SanDisk Extreme II drives.

Any of you performance geniuses (Kim!) have recommendations on things I should check to see if my SSDs are being held back?
Hi Jeff.

I am sad you have some problems with your new SSD's.
I dont know how you have started the setup with your SSD's, but Iam going to describe my way to handle the installation of new disks to your system. This is the way I correctly do it, based on other users problems, and therefor I have never had any problems by my self so far.

Never clone your old HD to your new system SSD. Dont trust the manufactures software to do all the hard work for you. This is an easy way, but not an reliable way to do it.

You should format your new SSD, do an fresh install of Windows and reinstall all your applications/plugins one by one.

This is time consuming, but you will be pleased when you can editing nonstop, rather than trouble shooting time to time...

Remember, remove ALL your drives from the motherboard when installing Windows on your new SSD. Dont plug the SSD's and your HD's in to your motherboard until the installation of Windows is completely finished. Only your system disk (your SSD) should be plugged in when installing Windows.

There is some great benchmark apps for testing your SSD's, but it doesnt sound like that kind of a problem you are having. By the way, what operating system are you using Jeff? And do you use your SSD's in some kind of raid? Are you using any new generation motherboard? I dont remember how SSD's was inserted either, are all inserted to a 6gb/s port?
Normally like me, I have three 3gb/s ports and three 6gb/s ports... With the 6gb/s ports, you can use all of your SSD's write/read speed (500-600mb/s). If connected to the 3gb/s port, only half of it...
Maybe you have some extra controller installed?

And by the way, when stated that an SSD has an write/read speed of 500mb/s, that doesnt really apply "read" an videofile in various formats encoded in what know... The SSD have various read/write speed dependig on what kind of data it reads/writes. sometime it read some data x10 times slower. But again, I dont believe the problems originate from "slow speed" from your SSD, but either, it doesnt hurt checking their health.. Because I dont know your Windows version, be sure to set windows auto defrag to OFF.

Update me Jeff...

/Kim Olsson
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:22 PM   #9
Trustee

if you have ist - intel storage technology / fast transfer, or similar, try uninstalling it....

my ssd system used to take as long as the old hd it replaced to boot up and do other ops. removed intel software and bingo, boots in under 30sec and programs load / work at lightning speed.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Kim. My installation was by the book, done it hundreds of times. I did not clone drive. I am using 6gb ports. Your advice was excellent but think I installed it properly.

I forgot I had HDTach. I installed it and benchmarked my OS drive is over 500 mbps, the other two SSDs are around 350. I think it's a controller issue, will have to rearrange things.

Leslie, good advice, I have Marvell Storage manager but my sytem boots up in like 10 seconds, but I'll unistall it. I am pretty sure I have it disabled anyway, but will double check.

Will report back!
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
@ Edward: I don't know, wherever they are at by default.

@ Jody, I don't use Softonic for downloads nor do I use Cnet or similar sites, but I appreciate the recommendation.
You can download it from the official site:
Disk Benchmark | ATTO

Or use any number of benchmarking tools to get the same results.

TRIM may also be something to look into, depending on your OS:
http://lifehacker.com/5640971/check-...e-in-windows-7
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Jody, thanks for the link very nice!
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Jody, thanks for the link very nice!
Not a problem.

I've had a similar issue in the past. If TRIM isn't enabled, your SSD performance will degrade over time.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:52 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Well, thanks everyone for your help.

Learned a couple of things. I have two sets of 6gb sata controllers, one set is clearly much faster than the other.

The drives run at rated speed, about 500 on one controller and about 350 on the other.

At any rate, the issue is definitely not SSD related. I'm looking at my overclock to see what's wrong there. I feel the issue is related to cpu usage and turbo boost. I thought had I have a constant overclock at 4.1, but I suspect now it's not so.
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #15
Major Player

Jeff, you did not OC the fsb?
That will OC all aspect of your motherboard.

You just raised the multipler?
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...