Cineform Connect HD Essential? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 16th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
The Cineform capture utilities split up the captures into scenes just like standard DV captures do. If you capture directly into a program like Vegas, you get one large M2T file.

Don't flame me on this one I'm a newbiee. So if I convert my large m2t file into the proper avi file will that big large file be splited up the captures? like in editing SD? I really don't like the way m2t is one big file and no "capture" detection when it comes to HDV.

Thanks
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #17
Major Player

That was one of the big reasons I bought the ConnectHD software. I like the smaller scene split files. Without it you get HUGE files that make your PC really sluggish. The only real way to do it without ConnectHD is to manually start and stop the capturing so as to get smaller files.

You can also losslessly divide the M2T files with MPEG Wizard from womble.com, and I've done this recently as well. It works quite well and the divided files work much better.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Vegas includes everything needed to edit HDV. A version of the Cineform codec is also included. The full purchase version adds more features but is not required for editing HDV.

CF codec is in V6 but does it still detect scenes/captures on HDV? I guess V6 flex its mucles but still not good enough. I need to pick up CF HD then.

Next concern is with CF on V6 will I be able to print to tape back to fx1 or z1? I read somewhere that it won't.

Thanks
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:22 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda

Next concern is with CF on V6 will I be able to print to tape back to fx1 or z1? I read somewhere that it won't.

Thanks
Don't know what you're referring to there... Are you saying you heard that you can't write back m2t directly from the Vegas 6 timeline?

If you are - you could be right, but that's why I value ConnectHD, because I can render my project to m2t, then use the HDLink utility that's part of ConnectHD to record the resultant m2t back to the camera!!

Hard to say whether that's a longer process than writing directly from the Vegas 6 timeline, but I'd suspect that writing to tape directly from the timeline - especially HD with edits and fades/crossfades and multiple tracks etc, etc; would be beyond the capabilites of any currently available computing system...
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
If you capture directly into a program like Vegas, you get one large M2T file.
Well, shoot. That sucks. I was hoping to just buy Gearshift -- since my system is a slow 2.6 Pentium 4 processor. I've tried the Connect HD demo, and although quite nice -- in fact, incredibly nice -- it is also incredibly sluggish on my system. Gearshift just runs better on my system, but I have yet to try it with my FX1 (which is on order). But I need scene file detection...
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #21
Major Player

Someone correct me, I'm still trying to figure this out.
Capture HD footage from cam using Cineform HD -> palce on timeline on V6->convert back to oringal file using Cineform HD-> then using Cineform HD to print to tape? or someday blue ray!!!???

Thanks
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #22
Major Player

As far as I know, nobody's printing HDV back to tape yet. It's been announced as a future Cineform feature though, so some day we should be able to.

Another thing about using the Cineform ConnectHD capture utility is that not only does it split scenes, but it writes files about 30% smaller than Vegas does (not Vegas's fault, but that's the way it is). 30% on files this large is quite a bit of hard disc space!
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #23

Quote:
As far as I know, nobody's printing HDV back to tape yet. It's been announced as a future Cineform feature though, so some day we should be able to.
!
Lots of people are printing back to HDV tape, myself included. You can do this via either Vegas or via CineForm. This is what the Export tab is for. It really should be named "Print to tape" rather than export, so that it conforms with industry "speak" but it's the same thing.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
The Cineform capture utilities split up the captures into scenes just like standard DV captures do. If you capture directly into a program like Vegas, you get one large M2T file.
Thanks lawrence.. I was asking specifically if the scene detection is available in V6.. so the answer is I need ConnectHD or Gearshift.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Lots of people are printing back to HDV tape, myself included. You can do this via either Vegas or via CineForm. This is what the Export tab is for. It really should be named "Print to tape" rather than export, so that it conforms with industry "speak" but it's the same thing.
Thanks Spot. I see now. Can I "print to tape" from Vegas with the Cineform codec. I see that the HDLink utility will only print M2T back to tape. I'd rather save a generation and just "export" the cineform codec file if possible.
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #26
Major Player

NOTE: Temporarily Connect HD will not export edited material from the Sony Vegas 5 timeline back to the HDR-FX1. An update will be made available from Sony to add this feature in the near future. Anybody who purchases Connect HD is eligible for this update. Please check the Sony Media Software website for updated information about this.

This info was taken from videoguys.com web site. What good will editing HD do when you can't even do the final step in video production..DELIVERY.
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
NOTE: Temporarily Connect HD will not export edited material from the Sony Vegas 5 timeline back to the HDR-FX1. An update will be made available from Sony to add this feature in the near future. Anybody who purchases Connect HD is eligible for this update. Please check the Sony Media Software website for updated information about this.

This info was taken from videoguys.com web site. What good will editing HD do when you can't even do the final step in video production..DELIVERY.
Vegas 5 not Vegas 6, and not later versions of Connect HD. The first version of Connect HD had issues printing to tape. Those are long, long over.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:45 AM   #28
Trustee

hey folx,

was about to start a new thread about this when i read this thread. so i should continue the thought here.

i have a dual amd 2.1ghz CPU, 4GB ram, etc. i recently downloaded some of the footages from XL H1 and wanted to edit them into one file w/Vegas 6c. the m2t files played fine through my media player classic, but after i imported them into vegas 6c timeline, it was so pixelized and sluggish that i can't use them. does this have to do with cineform/gearshift or is this a preference feature that i haven't discovered yet? i can edit regular DVs fine.

if there is no solution in editing the m2t's directly, how do people edit it? i've read through the thread, but i'm still not very clear. it sounds to me like if my system can't handle m2ts directly, i should use either a proxy or convert it to a format that i can edit properly. but wouldn't conversion hurt the image quality? if so, wouldn't one want to use the proxy? how does one setup a m2t->preview image proxy edit?

BTW i have used auto, draft previews and none of it works. it's pixelated and barely plays back at all.
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:47 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
hey folx,

was about to start a new thread about this when i read this thread. so i should continue the thought here.

i have a dual amd 2.1ghz CPU, 4GB ram, etc. i recently downloaded some of the footages from XL H1 and wanted to edit them into one file w/Vegas 6c. the m2t files played fine through my media player classic, but after i imported them into vegas 6c timeline, it was so pixelized and sluggish that i can't use them. does this have to do with cineform/gearshift or is this a preference feature that i haven't discovered yet? i can edit regular DVs fine.

if there is no solution in editing the m2t's directly, how do people edit it? i've read through the thread, but i'm still not very clear. it sounds to me like if my system can't handle m2ts directly, i should use either a proxy or convert it to a format that i can edit properly. but wouldn't conversion hurt the image quality? if so, wouldn't one want to use the proxy? how does one setup a m2t->preview image proxy edit?

BTW i have used auto, draft previews and none of it works. it's pixelated and barely plays back at all.

you got the idea. need to convert that m2t file cause its to large to edit it natively. then when your done you reconvert it back to the original m2t. i read that you won't be able to tell the difference as far as the image quality being compromised. from all the readings and research i gonna try Cineform HD triall version. by the way i visited your state in the summer...very rich in history!
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
hey folx,

It's either the preview mode you're looking in, or you rendered proxies in GearShift and you're looking at the GearShift Proxies in an HD project.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...