Pro 13 press announcement - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 7th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Pro 13 press announcement

I like Vegas very much and have used it for a long time but I have them on a short leash now. I have grown very weary of the virtually guaranteed crashes with h264 renders. It occurs with both the Sony and Main Concepts encoders in Vegas. My current work flow when I need to render h264 files is to render Cineform files and then use these to render the h264 files in Adobe Media Encoder where it works fine on the same computers! I have a fast i7 desktop and an i7 notebook computer. All the good-speak about Sony listening and responding to customer problems doesn't mean much to me because I have seen no result. I have submitted crash reports many times - for what!?

I really don't want to hear any lip smack about my computer or nVidea video cards. That's just evasive double speak as far as I'm concerned. The h264 renders work with no problems on both my computers when I use Adobe Media Encoder. That just about says it all doesn't it.

As for me, Sony has two months to fix this once and for all. I already have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription for some of the other applications in the suite. If this isn't resolved within the next two months I am going to switch to Premiere Pro and never look back.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Bill, which Vegas version do you use and where does these DNGs come from?
Marco Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I'm using Vegas pro 12 version 770. The DNG's come from CD 7Q monitor/ recorder. Thanks
Bill LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #19
Sponsor: JET DV

Adam, that would only apply to Titler Pro. The other effects packages would work fine with your video card.

Without knowing what video card/driver you have, I don't know whether you can run Titler Pro. Here's the minimum specs for Titler Pro but the other products (such as the Video Essentials packages) have lower needs.

nVidia GeForce or Quadro card that supports CUDA with driver 285.62 or newer,
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 2400 or better with Catalyst 11.11 or newer,
Intel HD is not supported.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #20
Regular Crew

"The DNG's come from CD 7Q monitor/ recorder."

Never had a DNG from this particular device available. Any source to download such a sample DNG?
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Sure. Download the 2k file. Use this link :
Odyssey7Q | Sony FS700 Raw Option

Thanks
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I downloaded the file "2K240SampleFrame.zip" from this source and imported the DNG namend "CLIP0000208_0000000.dng" into Vegas Pro 12.
This works fine and I see in Vegas Pro the file is decoded by the Adobe DNG decoder.

Not sure what goes wrong on your system. Maybe additionally (to Adobe DNG) the Microsoft Raw Codec Pack must be installed.
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Without knowing what video card/driver you have, I don't know whether you can run Titler Pro.
Well, my previous computer died and, being short on cash, I bought an ASUS laptop with built-in Intel HD (so there is nothing I can do about it). No CUDA, but I have the Intel OpenCL driver. Vegas uses my OpenCL driver just fine. This is frustrating because I like what the plug-in does, or did on my old computer.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #24
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, the Intel HD cards are not supported by Titler Pro.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #25
Regular Crew

In re to Marco Ba's suggestion I'll give it a try. Thank you
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #26
Major Player

Jim I agree with you my work around is also to render to Cineform then let Adobe Media Encoder do the rest. As much as I've tried to switch to Premiere Pro, Vegas still wins on speed and edit satisfaction as long as you have a good work around.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
I like Vegas very much and have used it for a long time but I have them on a short leash now. I have grown very weary of the virtually guaranteed crashes with h264 renders. It occurs with both the Sony and Main Concepts encoders in Vegas. My current work flow when I need to render h264 files is to render Cineform files and then use these to render the h264 files in Adobe Media Encoder where it works fine on the same computers! I have a fast i7 desktop and an i7 notebook computer. All the good-speak about Sony listening and responding to customer problems doesn't mean much to me because I have seen no result. I have submitted crash reports many times - for what!?

I really don't want to hear any lip smack about my computer or nVidea video cards. That's just evasive double speak as far as I'm concerned. The h264 renders work with no problems on both my computers when I use Adobe Media Encoder. That just about says it all doesn't it.

As for me, Sony has two months to fix this once and for all. I already have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription for some of the other applications in the suite. If this isn't resolved within the next two months I am going to switch to Premiere Pro and never look back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Jim I agree with you my work around is also to render to Cineform then let Adobe Media Encoder do the rest. As much as I've tried to switch to Premiere Pro, Vegas still wins on speed and edit satisfaction as long as you have a good work around.
Glad to know im not the only one, who has to use this workaround.

The program does not actually crash for me when trying to render h.264 files. it just says failed to render.

The sad thing is i dont even have to do this on an older machine running vegas 10.
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
I have grown very weary of the virtually guaranteed crashes with h264 renders.
I can thoroughly recommend turning OFF GPU accceleration for renders. I know you shouldn't have to since it's supposed to be a key feature of recent releases but IMHE it's the one thing that causes crashes.

GPU off = stable Vegas Pro 12.

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Yes, David is absolutley correct. If you have GPU accleration turned on and you're having crashes you must turn it off.
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #30
Trustee

I do turn off GPU rendering but it still crashes, only less so. This still is a problem however. I waste a great deal of time (read money) on this. Does anyone have any good explanations for the fact that I have no problem on either of my computers with Adobe Media Encoder with GPU encoding enabled? I just wish Sony would own up to the problem and fix it.

T minus seven weeks.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...