DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Re-adding deleted audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/523076-re-adding-deleted-audio.html)

Danny O'Neill May 3rd, 2014 03:55 AM

Re-adding deleted audio

Just checking to see if there is an easy way to do this.

Say I removed all the audio from a clip or series of clips. Is there an easy way to re-add the audio to the timeline?

Currently I right click, find the media in my project media, add the clip back, line it all up and take the audio.

Paul Fierlinger May 3rd, 2014 05:00 AM

Re: Re-adding deleted audio

For such cases I make occasional numbered backups.

Marco Ba May 3rd, 2014 05:24 AM

There are scripts available which do this, e. g. Vegasaur's function "Restaure Audio", Excalibur's "Restore Missing A/V" or the single script "RecreateAudioEvents" which is part of the big script collection of Calderwood.org.
Just select the dedicated video events, call the script and you get the audio restaured for all of them in one go.

Juris Lielpeteris May 3rd, 2014 05:24 AM

Trimmer works well for this purpose.

Don Bloom May 3rd, 2014 05:27 AM

DL the trial version of Edward Troxels Excalibur. There is a script that will pull in Orphan audio or video. Highlight the clips you want to restore the audio to and press the button. Done!

Jeff Harper May 3rd, 2014 06:47 AM

Ultimate S has a feature that finds missing audio, under Audio tab.

Paul Fierlinger May 3rd, 2014 07:20 AM

So these scripts not just find the once deleted files, but also place them back in the order they were originally edited in? How do they know? This is at least the way I understand the question.

Jeff Harper May 3rd, 2014 07:46 AM

You select the video clips that you need "fixed", before hitting apply. Ultimate S, and the others, I presume, simply create a new audio track with the missing audio. In my own case, I then move the new audio to an audio track that I already had and then delete the newly made audio track just to reduce clutter.

The procedure is extremely simple, child's play.

Phil Lee May 3rd, 2014 09:24 AM

Hi

What a useful bit of info, I've done this a lot, unlinked the audio and removed it only to want it back again, okay if I realise immediately of course as I can 'undo', but often it's too late when I notice I want it back.

Regards

Phil

Danny O'Neill May 3rd, 2014 09:38 AM

Cheers all. Didn't know if Vegas had such an option. Time to invest in vegasaur I think.

Jeff Harper May 3rd, 2014 10:04 AM

Danny, Ultimate S offers a Multicam feature that is, to me, far superior to Vegas' multicam as well as many other features, but Vegasaur does look very interesting.

Have any Ultimate S users used Vegasaur and can you compare the two? It seems they offer many similar features but also many that the other does not.

Ulitmate S is more expensive, but the multicam feature alone has made it worthwhile to me. I've used it for years but I've not really looked at Vegasaur before either, so I appreciate this thread.

Danny O'Neill May 3rd, 2014 10:30 AM

The editors do the multicaming so doesn't bother me ;)

But that's also why I need a script to re-add audio after they remove it and I think it would be better with it.

Danny O'Neill May 4th, 2014 05:33 AM

Been trying Vegasaur, Ultimate S, Exchalibur and Vegas Production assistant and looks like were going for Vegasaur.

One thing I liked was the ability to batch render. Couple of clicks and have my DVD, BD, USB and Web versions done while I sleep. Vegasaur is the only one which seems to do this efficiently. All the others either have a one click for one format but not the other or had a really complex setup process for something which would be quicker using the built in batch render script.

Plus it does a whole load of other stuff.

Ultimate S was close but the interface is horrid, just horrid. They clearly started out years ago and have just added things as times gone by. The thing needs a total interface re-write.

Edward Troxel May 5th, 2014 08:30 AM

Danny, I wrote Excalibur. It was the first commercially available script for Vegas back when Vegas Pro 4 added scripting. It started because I wanted to simplify my own multi-cam editing projects.

As for adding the missing audio, here's what it does: It will look at the selected video event, look to see if the underlying clip also had audio, and - if yes - will add the audio from that original clip using that same audio segment onto a new audio track.

Paul Fierlinger May 6th, 2014 01:32 PM

Ah... thanks for the explanation, Edward. I keep forgetting that for you guys most video events come with their own sound tracks so they can be replaced. I edit tracks to silent video events with sound coming from independent sources.