DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas project save replacing media files with other clips on timeline. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/523234-vegas-project-save-replacing-media-files-other-clips-timeline.html)

Jordan Brindle May 13th, 2014 07:31 AM

Vegas project save replacing media files with other clips on timeline.

Hi,

My Vegas project keeps replacing media files on the timeline with other clips of the same name in a different folder on the drive. I have the ORIGINAL vegas file save where everything is in tact, but when i save it as anything else the clips are overwritten and replaced. How do i stop it from doing this?

Edward Troxel May 13th, 2014 08:08 AM

Re: Vegas project save replacing media files with other clips on timeline.

What version of Vegas are you using? I know some had this issue in the past but I believe this has been resolved in the most current versions of Vegas.

What if you move that other folder? Then Vegas won't be able to find them.

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2014 02:37 PM

+1 what Edward says.

Personally I always name all video clips when I download them and then back them up. This avoids the issue you're having.

You can fix this issue in several ways, as Edward suggests, the idea being you need to hide the "wrong clips" from Vegas so it doesn't find them. Move them onto an external drive for example, temporarily, and disconnect the drive.

Or rename the offending clips and that will end the problem also. If you have a lot of the same names in many different locations your problem will be a tad more complex to fix but still doable, follow the same idea.

In the future batch rename your clips when you download them, eg., JulieCam1 and they will appear as JulieCam1 (1) JulieCam1 (2), etc. For Cam 2 it would be JulieCam2. At least that's how I do it.

Good luck. The issue is having identically named clips, just not a good thing.

Christopher Young May 15th, 2014 09:46 PM

If it's Vegas 12 or 13 try cleaning your media pool thumbnails. Not saying it will work but it may. First make sure under Folder Options in Windows that under the View tab 'Show hidden files, folders, or drives' is checked. Now close Vegas and go to:

System (C:)/Users/Name/AppData/Local/Sony/Vegas Pro/12.0/Media Pool Thumbnails.

Delete everything in that folder now try opening the project back up and see if things are corrected.

In the above string where it says NAME you obviously choose the name of your system and where I have written 12.0 select either the Vegas 12.0 or 13.0 folder. This only applies to 12 and 13 as they are the first version to run this media pool thumbnail set up.

If possible keep us all posted as to your progress.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney