Has anyone noticed... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 27th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Trustee

Has anyone noticed...

that if you save a project in Vegas v13 you can open it in v12. First time I have ever been able to open a project saved in a later version but then been able to open it in an earlier version.

It's just an observation but I guess it goes to show how little v13 has changed under the hood if v12 can open v13 projects. v13 is really beginning to look like a 'cosmetic' upgrade with a few more third party associations like NewBlue thrown in. In the past changes to the core code of Vegas precluded using earlier version to open up projects created in later versions. I've tried this a couple of times now and it really does seem to be the case.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Has anyone noticed...

See the second post from a SCS dev in this SCS forum thread.
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Jorma Nippala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Christopher, there were many new features added in Vegas Pro 13. However, none of those features required changing the VEG file format this time.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #4
Trustee

Edward ~

"Ah said the blind man. Now I see."

Many new features!? I hope you don't mean the slip / slide, time stretch and fairly useless split trim tool down the bottom. Out of all those the shuffle tool would be the most useful. All the others we have had before in one form or another just not grouped in one menu. One new 'feature' was a backward step IMHO. Moving the timeline tool bar down to the bottom of the timeline window. A decision obviously not discussed in any consultation with end user editors. If you have a multi-monitor set up with one monitor dedicated to timelines your tools used to be just above your timeline grouped along with all your other menu tools such as File, Edit, View etc.

Now unless you have ten video tracks or so you have to jump from top of screen to bottom of screen and back again. Totally unnecessary movements. If Sony are going to move things around which have been in the same place for the 12 previous versions it would have been nice to be consulted on the decision to do so. If they are going to make an arbitrary GUI layout changes like that at least give us the option to move it back or float the tool bar if we see fit.

Other than that very satisfied with v13 so far. Very stable and working well with Nvidia GPUs.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...