DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Copy/paste between project timelines (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/523759-copy-paste-between-project-timelines.html)

Ian Stark June 18th, 2014 05:16 AM

Copy/paste between project timelines

I've had a VASTLY improved experience with Vegas (13 Pro) over the last month or so. Much greater stability (still not perfect though!) even when I'm pushing it to it's limits, as I'm doing on a short film project right now. I rebuilt my edit machine with a fresh install of Windows 8.1, which I was hesitant about but now quite enjoy.

What I am struggling to do, though, is to copy from a timeline in one project to a timeline in a different project in a separate instance of Vegas. I used to do it all the time (not a fan of nesting for some reason) but it just doesn't seem to work now.

It just won't let me do it! In fact, if I try and copy one way it just doesn't work, but when I try and copy the other way it acts as though I have copied ALL the media from the TARGET project and simply pastes a duplicate of it on the new tracks. That happens even if I have just tried to copy one single clip from the source project.

Either I'm doing something wrong or there is a possible bug. I wonder if someone could try it and see if it works for others.

My specs are Vegas Pro 13, Windows 8.1/64 bit, 24GB RAM, Core i7 980 @ 3.33GHz, no overclocking. Both projects contains one track of uniquely named DNxHD mov files recorded on a Samurai Blade from a Panasonic AF101 with two audio tracks (music and foley).

Update: I've just tried nesting - fail. In one direction the next just renders the audio on the timeline but no video and in the other direction it just hangs. Sigh . . .

Duane Adam June 18th, 2014 09:15 AM

Re: Copy/paste between project timelines

Working for me Ian. I used the "selection edit tool" in a separate instance of V13 to copy, then pasted and it works as in previous versions on my computer.

Ian Stark June 19th, 2014 07:50 AM

Well strangely now I have got it working - but not always! For me what worked is to just do a bit at a time. Having said that, I just copied and pasted a whole audio track across. I am wondering if there is something screwy with one of my drives because after copying and pasting I then couldn't reopen the .veg until I had moved the data from one directory to another then relinked all media. More investigation required. Like I've got the time . . .!

Thanks for the suggestion Duane.

Christopher Young June 22nd, 2014 05:05 AM

Just tried here.

Made sure the new project had the same number and type of tracks. Highlighted all the tracks in project #1 and did a 'Ctrl A, Ctrl C" and then starting at the uppermost track pasted all using 'Ctrl V' into the new project #2 and all went down perfectly. That was from v13 to v13.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Ian Stark June 22nd, 2014 12:48 PM

Bizarrely it's all fine now and I'm copying and pasting between projects with ease! That includes copying between non-identical projects (ie with different track structures).

I don't know for sure if this was it but the problem was resolved when I moved (in Windows) all the media to a different folder then relinked it in the project. After that copy and paste between projects worked fine. I think it was just one of those things that Vegas occasionally throws up!