Pro Res in Vegas 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 16th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Pro Res in Vegas 12

I looked it up but didn't seem to find a definitive answer. How well does Vegas, in general, work with Pro Res files? Once you have QT codec installed, are there any major hurdles to working with them? Here is what I'm thinking. I shoot a few dance projects a year. I have a Sony FX7 and would like to get a little more life span out of it. I'm thinking that an Atomos Ninja Star would give me full 1080 out of the HDMI bypassing the HDV compression. Should give better dynamic range as well. I'm thinking of shooting the long format events in Pro Res LT. Which should be a nice jump from 25 mbs HDV. This would also let me stop taking my laptop and recording directly to it. Taking out a little less equipment is always nice.
Editing is very simple with just some basic color correction and graphics.
Thoughts?
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Pro Res in Vegas 12

I don't have real data, just impressions that are not fully tested.

IMO the quicktime client runs slow on Windows in general. Prores would seem to have to run through the QT... so I'd expect slooow previews at lower resolutions.

OTOH, quality should be there!

If you can get your hands on a Convergent Design nanoFlash, it produces a nice MXF file, encoded by a genuine Sony hardware codec. Vegas loves this. This box is no longer manufactured, apparently Sony won't sell any more chips to CD, but it works great for me. I haven't tried any multicam.

This is kind of a sore spot - most of these recorders will create Prores or DNxHD, and Vegas has to get either through QT.
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Pro Res in Vegas 12

Thanks. The Nano Flash is out of my price range. My side line work doesn't bring in a lot and although the group I shoot for has no problems with the HDV, in fact I've tried to get them to go to BR and they are still happy with DVD. It's just really temping to get that extra quality out of my current camera for under $600. I'm also with you about the Pro Res thing. It's frustrating.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...