More Plug ins for Vegas Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 3rd, 2002, 12:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Forget about the price, I still can't believe I bought a software package called "Vegas Video".

Sounds like a real crap shoot to me. What are the odds it will work, and so on. What marketing genius thought that one up?

"Vegas Video" strikes me as only slightly better than 'Girls Gone Wild' Video. I'm sure there would be no shortage of plug-ins for that one.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 12:48 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Jersey City, NJ ?
and your complaining about Vegas?

They did their way baby!
-Stable working systems motherboard configurations-
Rick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 01:05 PM   #18
Major Player

Yow, you down there in Phillie, we call Jersey City the extreme west side of Manhattan.

If those folks in Minnesota had just named Vegas something else I wouldn't have waited so long to buy it.

They really should should change the name. Avid has a nice ring to it. No, I guess that is already taken.
Old December 3rd, 2002, 01:46 PM   #19
Regular Crew

"Yow, you down there in Phillie, we call Jersey City the extreme west side of Manhattan".

More like:
YO. yuse down nare e Phildefia,

-Canopus orphan
Old December 3rd, 2002, 02:31 PM   #20

Out here in the great Gobi desert, everything east of the mississippi is considered NYC...hehehehhe
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 02:45 PM   #21
Major Player

"Maybe thats the problem at Sonic---they need a new marketing guy---"

Or maybe one not so fond of showgirls.

Rick
Old December 3rd, 2002, 04:00 PM   #22

You guys are C~O~L~D. SoFo is great because they are responsive to users(aka you 'n me) needs and inputs. You don't really want marketing guys involved or we'll all regret it.
Old December 3rd, 2002, 04:38 PM   #23
Outer Circle

Yeah, but I doubt it'll cost as much as Avid, or FCP. If it will, I'll just kiss it off and wish it luck. (Being a guy, I have experience with this, if you know what I mean.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 10:10 PM   #24
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Ravens : You guys are C~O~L~D. SoFo is great because they are responsive to users(aka you 'n me) needs and inputs. You don't really want marketing guys involved or we'll all regret it. -->>>

It is all in fun. I truly want SoFo to succeed and bad marketing can tank the best products and the best company.
Old December 3rd, 2002, 10:50 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Bill, Just for the record. I love Sonic Foundry and promote their products to everyone who might be interested.

Vegas is closer to editing nirvana then any other editor I've used.

Cheers,
Old December 3rd, 2002, 11:08 PM   #26

LOL...I know...just kidding you guys.
Old December 5th, 2002, 08:19 AM   #27
New Boot

My feelings on price increase is this. I can understand that, as software becomes more powerful and sofisticated the price should increase. No problem with that. Howbeit, it should be in accordance with it's current base price. To increase price in an attempt to attract a particular market is by no means a way to increase sales. The worth of the product will inevidably do that. It's not an overnight thing. When I started using Vegas (about 8 months ago), there was very little mentioned about it in forums that were not specific to Vegas. Now, the Vegas name is dropped just about everywhere. What does that say?
As for me, I research beyond how much a product costs when I need to make a decision of it's quality. (my budget dictates this). If, as mentioned by another poster, and I'm sure there are plenty more out there, the price of Vegas moves to the FCP or Avid arena, I will be staying with version 3. Maybe when version 5 comes out, I will be able to buy a discount version 4 on Ebay or something.
If the price goes up, and by this I mean...way up, I can imagine what type of posts I'll read next year. Probably something like..."Vegas is a really good product, but if you don't use EDL and can organize you clips in explorer (like so many do), then see if you can find a copy of version 3....version 4 costs too d--- much!"

just my 2 cents
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM   #28
Major Player

Pricing is complicated. A friend of mine, an entrepreneur who has made a few million here and there, a skill that has never rubbed off on me somehow, was test marketing a new line of computer painted portraits. He found that the acceptance rates went up as he raised the price, within limits. Or at least that a lower cost caused folks to wonder about quality and value.

IF Avid Xpress is seliing at $1,500 and Premeir goes for around $600, it is silly for Vegas Video to have a street price of $350. Buyers relate price and value. SoFo cannot price like Avid but should probably consider positioning themselves at or slightly above Adobe.

(Of course, speaking as a VV3 buyer, upgrades from 3.0 should be free. ;) )

Rick
Old December 5th, 2002, 08:54 AM   #29

I used to work for an aerospace manufacturer a few years in the past. Their pricing philosophy was to basically sell their quite technologically advanced product at cost. Then, they made their profit on the maintenance and spare parts sales of that product. This philosophy worked quite well for them. As I said before, we don't want marketing people to get too deeply involved in the design and sale of a product.

OTOH, if you've read the recent articles about AMD's slippage in the development of technology, that's a case in point of how net profit is rolled back into a product to fund its development.

I can very clearly understand that SoFo may introduce their product below market value, then raise the price as it becomes well known and popular. If they didn't do this, they can't keep up with technology. I'd rather pay more for a good product, than pay less for a product with a limited lifetime. The real world of IT is quite a competitive environment in the best of times...and we're all suffering in the worst of economic times.
Old December 6th, 2002, 11:02 AM   #30
Miles J.

Sonic Foundry may not be in business much longer

I thought I'd jump in to share these thoughts, which were offered a few weeks ago by a friend of mine who is both a Vegas video user and a Sonic Foundry stock owner (for the record, I'm not, at least not yet.) FYI the 5 or 6 people I discussed this with since pretty much all agreed

1 - SoFo has unbelievably great software engineers. Both their established sound editing software and the newer video products (VV especially) are amazing.

2 - SoFo made an unbelievably stupid mistake by using the word "Vegas" for a professional-level, otherwise excellent product. I'm one of the thousands (tens of thousands?) of people who initially completely bypassed the product when I saw the name. "Vegas"? What the H*LL were they thinking?!

3 - SoFo may not be in business much longer - or at least not among the heavy weights - if their marketing people and deal makers don't wake up VERY soon and do their job right. Why? Because their stock is at a very high risk from being delisted if it doesn't get back above $1 very soon and stays there. The consequences could be dire for the company and all its customers.

Fixes aren't that hard. Here's what he suggested:

- Replace the moronic Vegas name by something that would help SoFo establish credibilty and reinforce name recognition, like the obvious "Video Forge" or "AV Forge" which would echo Sound Forge very nicely.

- Make deals with MANY other companies NOW to get the product bundled with hardware, etc. as Adobe started doing once they realized that Premiere's king-of-the-hill status was threatened (it's a smart business decision, note that they don't *really* do that with Photoshop...)

- Keep the price much lower than competitors UNTIL the product is established and the company's future is less in jeopardy.

I too would like for Sonic Foundry to succeed. But are they listening?

MJ

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...