16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12). - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:17 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Quote:
]And in what cases would 32 bit make the difference?
Visible difference must be for example when signatificaly increasing gamma in dark areas for making details in shadows much more visible.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:52 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris Lielpeteris View Post
Visible difference must be for example when signatificaly increasing gamma in dark areas for making details in shadows much more visible.
What about HD footage for Blu Ray delivery?

Thanks for your input.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #18
Major Player

Believe i have found the culprit.

''Secondary Color Corrector''.

It was on every one of my clips for some reason, i must have completely missed it. Big sigh.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brindle View Post
It was on every one of my clips for some reason
- Perchance do you use "Paste Event Attributes"? - 'Cos that's the best way to apply unwanted FXs, to many, many Events!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hehe . . . yep I've been there too many times! Also a great way to copy an unwanted pan/crop adjustment!

Sony, where is my 'Paste SELECTED attributes' function?!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #21
Inner Circle

This may have nothing to do with your problem but is worth a look. I have encountered a steady increase in rendering times over the last couple of week, sometimes slowing down to a painful crawl. Spyware, Virus and Malware scans have shown nothing, but a couple of days ago I checked the processes running in the task manager, and noticed a steadily increasing use of available memory over a couple of hours. It was being used by a dllhost.exe procedure, which is apparently a legitimate process, but should not use incrementing memory. It has a descrition of 'COMsurrogate' and I put an end to the process and immediately saw a massive drop from memory usage of approaching 70% down to 15%. Rendering immediately speeded up.

Some quick googling suggests that there could be a memory leak which Windows is not able to handle for some reason. It could be down to something that has been installed or uninstalled recently, although I have yet to find the source. A rollback also failed to clear it, but keeping an eye on it when a new programme is loaded and ending it when it appears, has stopped it messing up my editing. It also appears on boot up of the PC.

It may not be related to your own problem but is easy to check by loading the task manager, and then the 'performance' tab to see if there is a constantly increasing memory use. If there is, look at the 'processes' tab and it should be quite obvious by the rapidly increasing memory use, just right click and select 'end process'. I may be neccessary to do it twice.

I have never come across this before and it is certainly odd and a nuisance.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #22
Inner Circle

OK ignore my post, just posted it and found you had discovered the problem. If anyone can throw any light on my problem, I would be grateful.

Roger
Old September 8th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
It was being used by a dllhost.exe procedure, which is apparently a legitimate process, but should not use incrementing memory.
Roger,

DllHost is legitimate in that it comes with Windows. I really don’t know what they were thinking at Microsoft for making it a part of Windows. Its sole purpose is to load a DLL and execute any arbitrary procedure within that DLL. Microsoft uses it to load and run some of its system processes.

Unfortunately, however, any programmer anywhere can place any code in a DLL and have it run by having it loaded and run by DllHost. And all the system will tell you about it is that the process is DllHost. Just as it can be used to run parts of the system, it can be used to run a nefarious DLL, even one whose only purpose is to waste memory and processor cycles maliciously. And most people will not be able to tell whether every DLL it runs is legitimate or something pernicious, mischievous and nasty.

That is why I said I don’t know what they were thinking!

Adam
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #24
Major Player

This sort of thing is one of the reasons I no longer use Windows as a primary operating system, I just keep a licensed copy on a virtual machine for a couple of Windows only applications that will not otherwise run on Linux.

I found that it needed several different virus and malware scanners, run consecutively, to stand any chance of catching some nasties.

I made myself a toolbox which I still keep on a USB stick, useful for those I know who still use Windows, so the clean-up software cannot become contaminated should the computer becomes badly infected. It could be argued correctly that it would be more secure on a disc, but then it's a new disc every time there is an update. Even with good security software installed, a scan will sometimes pick up a lurker!

Dave

Last edited by Dave Baker; September 9th, 2014 at 01:06 AM.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Thanks for that guys, at least I now understand that a legitimate process has been hijacked in some way to cause me grief! All I have to do now is find the culprit :-(

Roger
Old September 9th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #26
Trustee

You may want to download Process Explorer, which gives you a lot more information than the Task Manager that comes with Windows.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav View Post
You may want to download Process Explorer, which gives you a lot more information than the Task Manager that comes with Windows.
Hi Adam, sorry for delay replying, I was visiting a client. Thanks for that link, I downloaded the programme and it has given a lot more information as you said. Hopefully it will help me to try to isolate the problem tomorrow.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...