16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12). at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 31st, 2014, 03:59 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Vegas 12 Pro. Rendering 30-40 min MP4 films With GPU accel turned off, this is what im facing. Ridiculous. How do they always manage to go backwards with Vegas? It crashes with GPU on and sucks with it off.

Anyone manage to get round this? Have been Googling for hours to no avail. I can't get round having GPU off, which improves speed by a huge margin. It's only usable for editing in low-preview mode right now.

Win 7 64bit
ATi Radeon HD 6950 (latest drivers).
i7 @ 3.07GHz.
6GB Ram
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:15 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brandon, England
Posts: 342
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

I never got beyond Vegas Pro 10, I haven't used it in a long while and I no longer have it installed anywhere, so these odd things I found out are from memory. I had both 32 and 64-bit Vegas installed.

32-bit Vegas takes around 3 times as long to render the same event as 64-bit. Make sure to be using 64-bit.
Sony AVC is faster than Main Concept.
Need to make sure all processing threads are activated.
Need to make sure Windows is seeing and able to use all the RAM.
Make sure to only render to as high a bit rate as necessary.
Using too many effects slows rendering, especially sharpening.
Use the system monitor to find out where the bottleneck(s) is/are.
Use the desktop CPU widget to keep an eye on things when not using the system monitor.
Always render from one physical drive to another, not partition to partition.
Do not render to or from a USB external drive. (this may be out of date for USB 3.0 drives).
Only render 2-pass when necessary, it doubles the render time.

No doubt I have forgotten a few things.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:16 AM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Coast Australia
Posts: 1,008
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Hi Jordan,
Just render out to DnxHD then use Handbrake to render your Mp4 from that. (think Handbrake also accepts xavc if that works better for you).
__________________
http://vimeo.com/livewebvideo
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: upper hunter, australia
Posts: 1,368
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

you don't actually write what it is you're rendering?

fx, opacity, heavy duty compositing, whatever?
__________________
www.lesliewand.com.au
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,380
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Tell us EVERYTHING.

I had this issue with Vegas 12 but got my problems diagnosed on this forum. I absolutely love the NLE with all my heart. I am scared to upgrade to Vegas 13 incase I encounter other problems so i'm staying firm with Vegas 12 as it does everything I need it to do plus more.

You need to tell us if you are using any SONY plugins, or Third Party ones, if the track/video clips opacity levels are not at 100% etc. All of these things effects the render time.

For example, if I add a third party plugin like Twixtor PRO to two or three 10 second clips in my timeline it can take a render of a 5min highlight video that would normally take 12mins to render in 1080p all the way to 35-40mins to render.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
I never got beyond Vegas Pro 10, I haven't used it in a long while and I no longer have it installed anywhere, so these odd things I found out are from memory. I had both 32 and 64-bit Vegas installed.

32-bit Vegas takes around 3 times as long to render the same event as 64-bit. Make sure to be using 64-bit.
Sony AVC is faster than Main Concept.
Need to make sure all processing threads are activated.
Need to make sure Windows is seeing and able to use all the RAM.
Make sure to only render to as high a bit rate as necessary.
Using too many effects slows rendering, especially sharpening.
Use the system monitor to find out where the bottleneck(s) is/are.
Use the desktop CPU widget to keep an eye on things when not using the system monitor.
Always render from one physical drive to another, not partition to partition.
Do not render to or from a USB external drive. (this may be out of date for USB 3.0 drives).
Only render 2-pass when necessary, it doubles the render time.

No doubt I have forgotten a few things.

Dave
Thank you Dave this looks very useful, will go over all these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Hi Jordan,
Just render out to DnxHD then use Handbrake to render your Mp4 from that. (think Handbrake also accepts xavc if that works better for you).
Could be a solution thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
you don't actually write what it is you're rendering?

fx, opacity, heavy duty compositing, whatever?
30 minute 1920x1080 25p MP4 film with basic colour correction and soundtrack. Single track. A few basic fades. Nothing different to what i have rendered in the past with Vegas 10 which would only take 1.5/2x the length of the video to render.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Tell us EVERYTHING.

I had this issue with Vegas 12 but got my problems diagnosed on this forum. I absolutely love the NLE with all my heart. I am scared to upgrade to Vegas 13 incase I encounter other problems so i'm staying firm with Vegas 12 as it does everything I need it to do plus more.

You need to tell us if you are using any SONY plugins, or Third Party ones, if the track/video clips opacity levels are not at 100% etc. All of these things effects the render time.

For example, if I add a third party plugin like Twixtor PRO to two or three 10 second clips in my timeline it can take a render of a 5min highlight video that would normally take 12mins to render in 1080p all the way to 35-40mins to render.
No third party plugins active. As described above, basic color correction, grading, fades - a few Sony Stabalizers. No sharpening. I've never had to optimize my Sony Vegas ever before and have been using it since VP9. It always just works. I do want to use VP12 as it appears to be a bit more stable than 10, its just the rendering is painful without GPU support.

As seen in the attachment, computer becomes completely unusable whilst rendering a 5 minute video. CPU Usage @ 100%. Something must be set wrong somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails
16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).-rendervp12.jpg  
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Riga, Latvija, EU
Posts: 280
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brindle View Post
30 minute 1920x1080 25p MP4 film with basic colour correction and soundtrack. Single track. A few basic fades.
Quote:
basic color correction, grading, fades - a few Sony Stabalizers
i3@1.8 GHz with Intel HD 4000 video in my laptop just works more faster... Time of render of similar 30 min project but 50p AVCHD with 5.1 soundtrack with GPU accel turned off takes about 3 hours
There's something you're not told or your pc is wrong.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 01:22 AM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: upper hunter, australia
Posts: 1,368
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

if you open new project and just load a few clean clips without any fx, etc., how does it render?

looks like there's either an fx, track opacity perhaps, or even bad media.

how's the pc doing otherwise?

scanned with malwarebytes?
__________________
www.lesliewand.com.au
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
if you open new project and just load a few clean clips without any fx, etc., how does it render?

looks like there's either an fx, track opacity perhaps, or even bad media.

how's the pc doing otherwise?

scanned with malwarebytes?
Just threw 40 mins of footage onto a raw timeline. 2 hours 45 mins to render. This is what i have come to expect of finalized films with FX/correction etc with VP10! Perhaps there is an issue with some FX and VP12 as you have said... But what? The same footage, edited, is estimating 8 hours 6 minutes to render.

Here are the FX active at track level (2x Video Tracks):
Video:
Brightness Contrast.
Color Corrector.
Color Curves.
Sony Stabilization (handful of clips).

Audio:
Noise Gate.
EQ.
Compressor.

Video Source:
1080p DSLR .MOV files @ 25p.

Project Properties:
1920x1080p
Progressive
32 Bit Full Range
1.0 Aspect Ratio

Render:
45 Mins Length
MainConcept MP4
10,000 Bitrate
25p

Encode: CPU Only.
GPU Acceleration: Off
CPU Threads: 4

:(
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: upper hunter, australia
Posts: 1,368
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

and what happens if you just do a straight render of that footage, ie, no fx, stabilisation, etc.,?

this is just to double check that it's not a wayward / corrupt fx or something....

AH, as someone later wrote - 32bit? why?
__________________
www.lesliewand.com.au

Last edited by Leslie Wand; September 2nd, 2014 at 07:17 AM.
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 04:36 AM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brindle View Post
Just threw 40 mins of footage onto a raw timeline. 2 hours 45 mins to render. .
As stated above. It renders in good enough time.

Last edited by Jordan Brindle; September 2nd, 2014 at 05:13 AM.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:42 AM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Riga, Latvija, EU
Posts: 280
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brindle View Post
32 Bit Full Range
Why?
It may be the real cause of too slow render.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris Lielpeteris View Post
Why?
It may be the real cause of too slow render.
If im not mistake it produces a better looking video / precision for color correction / grading? It's what i always set in VP10 with no issues?
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:04 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Riga, Latvija, EU
Posts: 280
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Significant improvement of quality can be only in some cases, but significantly increase the time of render take place always. This means that 32 bit processing is appropriate to use only in short nested projects.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: 16 hours to render 30 minute film (Vegas 12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris Lielpeteris View Post
Significant improvement of quality can be only in some cases, but significantly increase the time of render take place always. This means that 32 bit processing is appropriate to use only in short nested projects.
I see. So what would you class as a short nested project? And in what cases would 32 bit make the difference?

I'm 100% certain this is how i have always rendered in VP10. But upon switching between 8 bit and 32bit i don't see a big difference in my preview window.

I am confused right now.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:19 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network