Anything akin to FCPX's clip-bins within a project? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 5th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anything akin to FCPX's clip-bins within a project?

I've shot my first 1:100 long form movie, with 300+ hours of footage. I use Vegas and up until now have just edited within a single project really messy-style.

Speaking to my director friend, he tells me how FCPX has 'bins' that he uses to separate timelapses from nature shots from dialogue, etc.

From a quick look, Vegas cannot do that. It can only label and organize the actual original media files using 'media bins', but it cannot organize clips within the project.

Are there any suggested workarounds? What do people do? Using separate levels? Can the timeline be permanently segmented vertically somehow to create columns?

Thanks,
Adjul
Adjul Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Anything akin to FCPX's clip-bins within a project?

Hi Abjul,
Final Cut workflow is different, but can be simulated in Vegas.
Most people when using Vegas doing longer projects break up the movie/project into smaller projects then assemble them into a master project. Similar to Final Cut X and its compound clips.
If you have never used Nesting of Veg files, do a quick Google or search in these forums. People have already explained it better than I can here.
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Vegas is actually great at keeping track of your clips for large projects. The problem is the features are not well documented in the manual or help or people don't look for them. I hope I'm not telling you what you already know, but it might interest someone if I'm on the wrong track. Yes, nesting. You can also group and minimize tracks. If you tag your clips in project media (select in project media and type in a tag name of your choice) Vegas automatically creates a new bin for all clips with that tag. You can create as many tags as you want.You can multiple tag clips, e.g timelapse, nature shots, dialog, and they'll appear in bins with that name. You can also manually create as many additional bins as you want and put the clips and sub clips into single/multiple bins, however you like.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What I'm thinking now is that I will nest the projects by doing this:

-Trimming clips down to what I might use and then saving them as their own .veg (for example, I interviewed 10 people with the same question, and I will render a veg file with only their 10 answers to that question on the timeline)

-Importing these topic-masters into the main master, and then tagging/binning them.

I'm planning to start by doing a teaser trailer to familiarize myself with the footage and the workflow, and then go to the long form after that.

I'm also planning to whittle at the footage and trim from 350 hours down to 200>100>50>etc. So I will probably have progressively slimmer masters as I remove more and more of the potential scenes.

Like I said, I've never done this before, and if there's anything that jumps out to people who have, I'd appreciate the feedback.

thanks,
Adjul
Adjul Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...