highlights blown out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 29th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

highlights blown out

I've been shooting green screen with white balance set.
However, now I've noticed the front of the character's costume has been whited out from a strong reflection.
The flashing lights are now completely gone.
I was wondering if any gurus knew how to somewhat correct this blowout.
Pic attached below.
Running Vegas Pro 10c
Thanks for a clue
Attached Images

Old September 30th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Old Boot

Re: highlights blown out

Wouldn't regard myself as a Guru, but I'm certainly needing to see exactly what your BEFORE and AFTER is about.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Art

Take a look at the footage in Vegas with scopes on at look at your white levels ..They are probably way over the top as you say so try pulling the white levels down with the levels plugin.

I don't really know why this also works but if you put the invert plugin into the chain first and push the slider all the way so the image is totally inverted (the whites will be black) and then put the level plugin following by a second invert plugin set the same at the first one it seems to work better when you correct the inverted image. It could of course be so blown out that you have lost all detail but it's worth a try!!

Your plugin chain should be (left to right) invert - levels - invert

Anything is worth a try and that's what I have used when I have had a bad backlit scene with the sky perfectly exposed and the subjects in deep shadow so it might work the other way around too??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Difficult to see from attached image but my take would be to address this in production not post. It looks to be lit with just 2 lights, my suggestion would be to use 2 lights for the GS, bring the subject away from the background and light it separately, expose for the subject and then balance lighting / exposure for the GS.
Old October 1st, 2014, 02:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Art

Take a look at the footage in Vegas with scopes on at look at your white levels ..They are probably way over the top as you say so try pulling the white levels down with the levels plugin.

I don't really know why this also works but if you put the invert plugin into the chain first and push the slider all the way so the image is totally inverted (the whites will be black) and then put the level plugin following by a second invert plugin set the same at the first one it seems to work better when you correct the inverted image. It could of course be so blown out that you have lost all detail but it's worth a try!!

Your plugin chain should be (left to right) invert - levels - invert

Anything is worth a try and that's what I have used when I have had a bad backlit scene with the sky perfectly exposed and the subjects in deep shadow so it might work the other way around too??
Hey...The lights are starting to come back...different frame but it's getting better.
Attached Images

Old October 1st, 2014, 05:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Awesome Art!

I suppose that a reshoot is not an option. As they say "treat the cause not the symptom" so if you can reshoot and expose and light correctly it would help a lot ...if not that is way better than the original!!

If you need any of us to try alternative methods post a full HD screen grab so we can play with it (1920x1080 still) When I was stuck I did that quite a few guys helped me and posted their result and how they achieved it!!

Glad you are getting it a lot better!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ok
Here's an HD still with green screen in the hopes someone can bring out still more of the robot's lights in Vegas Pro.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
highlights blown out-robot.jpg  
Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Art, here's the details on the "trick" that Chris referred to.
I tried it and here's my attempt at it as well as a screen shot of the FX chain. FYI, I set Gamma to 2.0 on the Levels FX.

Put 3 filters, a "Invert" (at 100%), "Color Corrector", "Invert" (at 100%).
Then lift up the gamma of the color corrector in the middle.
This darkens highlights first, in the logarithmic fashion, more like a "iris closing" way.
You can also put a color corrector secondary to select reds and lower the gamma a bit. (This suggestion was meant for the image being discussed on the thread below).
Dark or bright may also have to add or remove a bit of saturation on the color corrector filter.

Help with Over Exposure!
Attached Thumbnails
highlights blown out-robot-fix.jpg   highlights blown out-fx-chain.jpg  

Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...