Recommendations for SSD drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 24th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Recommendations for SSD drive?

I used to be on top of all things PC, or at least I tried. Lately, not so much, so I need help.

I need a faster SSD than I currently have, in approximately 500GB or 1TB to use for editing. Are Samsungs still the fastest for the money?

Any recommendations?
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Recommendations for SSD drive?

Hi Jeff,
Not trying to go OT, but what signs show you that your current SSD is too slow?
I grabbed one of these a few weeks ago when it was on sale. Speed looked ok, but the 512gb was attractive.
Crucial.com - Crucial MX100 SSD information
I can't really notice any difference in speed from my previous Samsung 840.
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm using the Sandisk Extreme Pro, I'm just at wits end with a bogged down system. 4K is slowing me down.

I just took a look at the Samsung Pro models, and I haven't yet determined if the difference will show up.

My 3930K is overclocked to 4, so I don't know what else to try, other than a faster drive and/or dual processor board.
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Trustee

to be honest i don't think a 'faster' ssd will make much difference...

what do you mean 'bogged down'?

why not use proxies for 4k?
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Proxies take up SO much room. My one-time experience with proxies using Vegas is that the quality was really poor, couldn't tell if things were in focus.

I used to use Cineform when I first got into HD, but didn't need it after awhile.

Leslie, can I choose the location where proxies go?

I'll try it again with my current project and see what happens, thanks Leslie. I vaguely recall the proxies go in the same folder as the video files, correct?
Old October 24th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yep, the proxy quality is quite poor. Image shows non-proxied HD (cam2 and 3) vs the 4K image (cam1). Actually the difference shown is not nearly as dramatic when viewing the screengrab as when looking at Vegas. If you double click on the opened image the difference is much more apparent. Everything looks out of focus.

Not sure which direction to go. I do know drive speed can greatly effect editing. I've experimented numerous times with 7200 drives vs 15K drives and the difference was night and day on a 4 camera shoot.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for SSD drive?-capture.jpg  
Old October 24th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Trustee

I dont think the idea is to use the proxy as final output Jeff. You just edit with it and use original to render out.
I dont use Vegas proxies. All my multi cam stuff is nested, so I just render a 1080p Cineform ( or your preferred intermediate) to sit on the top track, then disable it for final render.
I presume Vegas' native proxy system would do the same.
Old October 24th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks, Gerald. I understand that Vegas wouldn't use the proxy for the render, I just want to be able to see clearly because if a shot is out of focus I don't want to include it in the edit. I can try and work with it and switch to high qualityview if I'm not certain. I'll give it a try.
Old October 25th, 2014, 03:38 AM   #9
Trustee

ok, talking without really knowing....

how about setting up an external (internal?) raid and putting your original and proxies on it?

i can understand your concern re focus, but if you're doubtful you could always 'swap out' and check original?

be that as it may, i started nle with dynatech's emc2, so i've never really considered judging pic quality by anything other than the final render. same holds true even now - i usually preview good / auto, which gives me a good idea of how things flow. if in doubt i'll bump up to best at whatever gives me a viewable result.

there are days of course i hanker after my old on line suite - full res realtime, all time ;-)

btw: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...9261&Replies=3
Old October 25th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Jeff,

I take it you are already running separate drives - OS, cache, input. output drives etc?

I have a slower CPU then you, but find the Samsung SSD with the OS, plus SSD for cache, and three spindle drives for input and outputs seems to handle my 4K Sony AX1e files. However I do not do large projects. The GTX 970 I just installed also now works with Vegas 13 with GPU acceleration turned on for 30% faster renders over my previous GTX 570 (GPU acceleration would crash this card).

If you go with the current Samsung EVO 840 drives they have an issue that needs to be corrected with a app download from Samsung. An issue with 'slowing' down over time which would not appeal to you I am sure!

Samsung do come with a nice drive tweaking app that allows you to set various drive parameters to suit your task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I'm using the Sandisk Extreme Pro, I'm just at wits end with a bogged down system. 4K is slowing me down.

I just took a look at the Samsung Pro models, and I haven't yet determined if the difference will show up.

My 3930K is overclocked to 4, so I don't know what else to try, other than a faster drive and/or dual processor board.
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks, Robert and Leslie. Yes, I do use separate drives for everything. My video files, during editing, reside on a Sandisk Extreme Pro, and I use a separate SSD for my OS and other drives for storage.

I am using proxies now on this project, and I admit it's helpful, so I'm stopping when I need to, switching to Good quality to view original when I'm in doubt and then going back to Preview quality to get cruising again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...