DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is this computer sufficient (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/525849-computer-sufficient.html)

Kris Zimbelman November 24th, 2014 01:48 AM

Is this computer sufficient

For processing 4 K video on Sony Vegas efficiently

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084698-REG/asus_m32ad_us032s_i7_4790_16gb_2tb.html

Noa Put November 24th, 2014 02:20 AM

Re: Is this computer sufficient

The realtime performance also depends on if you plan to edit 4K as multicam and how many camera's, what type of 4K footage do you plan to edit (what codec, bitrate), do you plan to colorcorrect etc.

Leslie Wand November 24th, 2014 05:14 AM

nothing at the moment processes (you mean realtime?) 4k effectively. from my reading even dual xeon's struggle....

Noa Put November 24th, 2014 05:23 AM

Do you mean in combination with vegas? I can edit one stream of 4K in realtime on a 2 year old pc in edius.

Kim Olsson November 24th, 2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Zimbelman (Post 1868694)
For processing 4 K video on Sony Vegas efficiently

ASUS M32AD-US032S Desktop Computer M32AD-US032S B&H Photo Video

It will work indeed, but I suggest a SSD as a system disk instead of a 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive... Use that disk as a media disk instead.
If you will be working with long and alot of tracks at same time (a complex timeline), you can always easily create proxies inside Vegas Pro 12 & 13, Vegas 13 even have (I think) an automatic process creating proxies when importing if you turn that function on.
Then Vegas Pro will (in background) create a 720p (I think), .sfvp0 videoclip it will use when editing. When you are finished with your project you can delete those files if you want.
If you want to preview to original clip inside Vegas Pro when editing, turn preview/FULL to "Show" the original instead of the proxyclip...

I have an older generation i7 (3770K), and it work excellent.
I am not found of brand computer, they have often tight space if you want upgrade GPU or another CPU cooler etc.. So bad if you want to overclock your CPU or change to a bigger graphic card..

Remember if you want any kind of benefit using GPU acceleration, that card wont be much benefical...

Kris Zimbelman November 24th, 2014 07:52 AM

To all, thanks for your replies. I do not need to edit in real-time. I will choose a camera that has the most efficient codec for Vegas and this computer. If it needs to render overnight that is not problem. I am simply trying to future proof myself without spending an arm and a leg. I will be using this computer for another type of task initially. And yes, I plan on updating the primary hard drive to an SSD.

Kim Olsson November 24th, 2014 03:45 PM

Don't you need to edit in real-time? How do you mean?

What kind of projects are you going to do? Homevideos? For work?

If your not in a hurry, rendering isnt an issue for you.. But rendering and workflow goes in tandem...
It's all depends on how many CPU cores you have working and how high clockspeed they have.
Of course if you have like 4gb of RAM and your media placed on the wrong disks or if you rendering your video to your media disk, you'll have a bottleneck...
But it's predominantly your CPU which gives you performance... High coreclock and many cores...

I have a 4K 12min homevideo which takes around 2 hours to render, but I can also do a fairly less 4K complex project and render a 12min timeline in 20min...

Depends on your kind of projects...

Brian Berg November 25th, 2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Olsson (Post 1868706)
Then Vegas Pro will (in background) create a 720p (I think), .sfvp0 videoclip it will use when editing. When you are finished with your project you can delete those files if you want.
If you want to preview to original clip inside Vegas Pro when editing, turn preview/FULL to "Show" the original instead of the proxyclip...

My thoughts exactly.....