am I going mad? Vegas is randomly cropping clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 7th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Major Player

am I going mad? Vegas is randomly cropping clips?

I've never seen this happen before, can't figure out why it's doing it, or what on earth is happening.

I've a project with 10 tracks of material all sourced from XDCAM EX 1920.1080p. I've just noticed one source clip is being cropped by about 30-40%when dropped onto the timeline. The clip attributes are just the same as every other in the project and match every other, except this one clip behaves differently on the timeline. Why is Vegas cropping at 30% (I'm guessing at this figure as I see NO evidence of this happening apart from the clear difference by eye between the clip viewed in the trimmer and the same frame when viewed on the timeline).

Anyone any clues, ideas? I've tried dropping the same clip onto different tracks but the same thing each time. If I create a new project with the same project settings that match the media (same as in my main project) I can drop it onto the timeline without the issue. There's something significant about my current project and this one clip, except it's exactly the same as the test one I created that worked fine! The project settings match the media exactly!

I'm at my wits end as I really need the clip typically!

any ideas?
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: am I going mad? Vegas is randomly cropping clips?

Hey,

I've not seen your specific problem, but I have seen it with photo, where it'll give me about the same, a 30% or so crop around photos. Sometimes, I've had to redrop the photos. As a 10 year vegas user, I can tell you that Sony Vegas can have quirks.

Have you tried just started from scratch, using only that one problem clip?
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Weird indeed. Select the clip in the project bin and look to the bottom of the bin and see if the correct dimensions of this clip are being interpreted by Vegas. There may be some anomaly in this clip that is causing the clip to be seen as some other dimensions etc.

You could also right click on the clip in the project media window and look at 'properties' to check out the data details of the clip to see if they are correctly interpreted.

If that doesn't sort it and the clip is not too large upload it to Sendspace.com or the like and let some of us have a look at it. Even upload the .VEG file as the problem may well lie in there.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Stewart , whether You're in the fullness tried to remove the clip from the project and to import again?
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #5
Old Boot

Do you have any Track Motion applied on that particular Track? What happens when you drop it on another Track? Say with a Track that IS working as it should?

Interesting . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys, yes have tried all of those things. Clip properties are exactly the same as every other that behaved normally and I can create a new project dropping the same clip onto a new timeline and everything is fine. It's that one clip in this particular project for some VERY odd reason.

Trouble is I am in no position to start this particular project over - it's a 95% completed 30 minute documentary for broadcast.

I haven't tried re-importing the clip again though - I will try that!

Failing that I'm forced to remove the clips from the project.

The only thing unique to this clip that's different to all the others that behave normally is that it has motion travelling through the image at 45 degrees. Whether that has anything to do with it I can't say but other than that the image size, data etc is identical to every other and there is no reason for it to behave in this way!

Driving me crazy!
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Grazie

the clip is on the same track as others that behave normally. No track motion, no effects even. Nothing!

It also does the same thing when moved to another track.

Really perplexing!

If re ingesting it doesn't work I'm forced to bin a carefully planned shot from the project because of some weird Vegas nuance! Got to deliver today.

I suppose I could use it in a new project where it behaves normally and render it out...
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #8
Old Boot

Have added an FX at Media Level?

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Can you open the file in Photoshop and save as a different format then re-ingest?

EDIT: sorry, all this talk of photos in my studio this morning, there was me thinking this was an image, not a video clip . . .!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Stuart - I just recently encountered this same issue and discovered it was caused by applying stabilization to one of my clips. Even though I had cut up the clip on the timeline and thought I was only applying stabilization to one part of it, it, it was applying to the entire clip creating creating the unwanted crop across the board. As soon as I figured this out, I created a subclip of just the section I wanted to stabilize, re-applied the stabilization and bingo - all good.

Art
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #11
Inner Circle

And, have you checked your event pan/crop settings?

One quick way to default all event level settings would be to copy one of XDCAM clips, then paste-event-attributes on the misbehaving clip.
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Art, you have nailed it! Thank you so much!

The rushes clip in question has indeed been used elsewhere on the timeline with that small segment stabilised!

I had no idea Vegas was stabilising the entire clip rather than just the part on the timeline you need steadying. Why would it do that? That explains the very long stabilise render times on a 3 second shot on the timeline - it's because the entire 3 minute source clip is being stabilised!

Thank you so much. I'm glad it wasn't me going mad!
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #13
Major Player

Stuart - glad that worked! - yeah the long render time on the stabilization stuck in my head as being odd which is what tipped me off on the crop issue. It was strange though that I never encountered the issue before either. I probably just never noticed the cropping taking place on the master clip if the cropping was more subtle.

Art
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #14
Trustee

Well discovered! Well done. Of couse that would do. It never entered my mind but now that you point it out it's obvious. Just love 20/20 hindsight:)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...